What's new

Metal detecting help requested

BOOTY SEEKERS IA

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2012
Messages
45
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
CENTRAL IOWA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE250
GARRETT GTI 2500
GARRETT PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We need some guidance. We are rather new to this hobby and have found a potential goldmine of a property. We have permission to hunt a 1acre area that had a 1 room school house on it in the past.
We are working with limited time and have been pulling a lot of junk running sensitivity at about 75% in jewelry discrimination digging everything that beeps. I am digging about 3 targets for every three steps I take.
Does anyone have any suggestions about sensitivity, discriminating, and how strong of tones to go after?
 
What kind of things are you hoping to find? If you're looking for relics you're just going to have to deal with lots of scrap iron in the mix. If you're hoping for coins you need to crank up your disc. a bit and take the chance of missing some nice relics. Also running your sensitivity a bit lower may help but really if it's a trashy spot, you're just going to have to dig some trash to get to the good stuff.
 
Thank you NOLA_Ken for the quick responce. Given the time limit we are mainly going for coins. What does crank up your disk mean, I apologize for not knowing the basic term.
 
BOOTY SEEKERS IA said:
We need some guidance. We are rather new to this hobby and have found a potential goldmine of a property. We have permission to hunt a 1acre area that had a 1 room school house on it in the past.
We are working with limited time and have been pulling a lot of junk running sensitivity at about 75% in jewelry discrimination digging everything that beeps. I am digging about 3 targets for every three steps I take.
Does anyone have any suggestions about sensitivity, discriminating, and how strong of tones to go after?


Sounds like you don't know your detector. That will only come with use. It may help you if you I.D. Your detector. Maybe someone can help you with your settings.
 
Thank you for your reply ticm what do you mean by I.D. I am new to this site and dont get a lot of this stuff.
 
I should also say on prior propertys we have had no problem getting coins. We just have not run into a area with so much junk to try to get around.

We are both using garretts, a 250ace and a gti2500
 
Thank you for your reply ticm what do you mean by I.D. I am new to this site and dont get a lot of this stuff.

I.D....what is the make and model of your detector? I have a Garrett Ace 350 and it has 5 modes. Jewelry, Relic, Coin, Zero(no descrimination) and Custom. If you have a Coin mode try running that at about 2 bars from full on sensitivity.
 
I should have picked up on that. I did I.D. them after asking that just thinking that would be a good idea. They are on the post just above yours now. Sorry for the slowness.
 
There is a garret section on T-Net that may help
 
Do you have a small coil? 4-5" coil. If so use that in the trash area. It will help you separate good targets from bad. They are sometimes referred to as sniper coils.

NJ
 
IA, both of your detectors will do just fine. If you are already finding coins, you are well on your way. Keep at it. The only thing you need is TIME. If you have an "un-ending" time period for this property, just dig all and you will find the goodies among the trash. If you keep the trash (carry it out) you will have less to be concerned with the next time you hunt there. Show the results to the landowner. Also, show him you are cleaning the place up as you hunt that way you will be invited back again. Use earphones to bypass the speakers. They are the biggest power hogs on the detector. Have fun! Take your time and be thourough! Let us know how you do. Good luck. TTC
 
I use an Ace 350, I have never used a gti2500, so I'm not sure what the settings would be, but with your 250 you'll want to run in coin mode rather than jewelry. You're still going to get a lot of trash like pulltabs and foil though unless you notch out the nickel range. Even then you'll still get bottlecaps occasionally.

The best advice I can give is to work the site as slowly as you can and just dig anything above iron. If it's that trashy, you'll miss a lot of good targets unless you clear some of the trash out.
 
Thank you to everyone for the input. I will post what we come up with as we go.
 
The GTI2500 will discrim out the rusty trash pretty well. If you are new to it, watch the YouTube videos on both of your machines. They have some pretty nice tips and tricks there.

Also, if time is a factor, elicit some assistance from some others in your area. I would love to help someone hunt out an area, I'm sure others would as well.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom