What's new

Metal detecting in forests

TreasureGrabber

Full Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2006
Messages
164
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Minelab Explorer SE (with Coiltek WOT spider, Coiltek Joe, SEF 10x12 )/Bounty Hunter Land Star.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello guys,
As I knew objects sunk in the forests very fast, since the leaves are falling and they cover them... and after a century the object must be under about 1 meter of ground....

but I think this is not a quite true now, because here our friend in the neighbor thread has found a lot of treasure 1000-2000 years old in the forests and all that at the depth of 10-30 cm. check the thread here http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,437891.msg3120620.html#msg3120620

I searched a lot the web and maybe some conditions I had not counted... worms which eat the leaves... roots which come up to the surface... some tiny mammals which take the goods out of ground....

how do you think how fast the objects are sunk in the forests? and what conditions should be counted in this process?
 
TreasureGrabber,I woods hunt 90% of the time in the fall to spring.I have found targets are not that deep in undisturbed areas,2-8 inches average. God Bless Chris
 
worldtalker,
what is the age of your finds?
 
TreasureGrabber said:
worldtalker,
what is the age of your finds?
T G,Early 1700's, still waiting to break into the 1600's[Hopefully].The town I live in was settled in 1635,it's here just got to get it under my coil!!!
 
I was deer hunting in the heavy conifer forest here in the Pacific Northwest, in an area that hadn't been logged or disturbed by modern machinery, in large trees with no ground cover, and I found on top of the ground and on top of the needles from the trees, lying in plane sight, a stone age Indian arrowhead. This no doubt had to have been pushed up to the surface by a gopher, the rain dissolving the dirt back into the ground. How else could it have got there?
 
worldtalker said:
TreasureGrabber,I woods hunt 90% of the time in the fall to spring.I have found targets are not that deep in undisturbed areas,2-8 inches average. God Bless Chris

Yep. I'll agree with that. From my experience, stuff in the woods just don't go deep. Sure the leaves fall. But then they decompose. If the leaves continually covered the ground then old cellar hole foundations would be covered. There's a place here in Ohio called Flint Ridge. Large deposits of flint from which the native american's would come from miles around to gather and take back. Today you can walk the trails and flint is lying all over the place right on top of the ground. So, yeah the leaves will cover stuff in the fall. But then they'll decompose. The woods is a great place to hunt if you have a good site.

-Swartzie
 
Swartzie,
What is your deeppest and oldest find in the woods?
 
TreasureGrabber said:
Swartzie,
What is your deeppest and oldest find in the woods?

My deepest find in the woods was actually a modern shotgun shell. It was easily 12 inches deep. I don't know how it got so deep. The only thing I can figure is the area was backfilled with dirt. My oldest find in the woods (that can be dated) was a late 18th century coin and it was less than three inches deep. Like Worldtalker said 2-8 inches is average. I think the deepest I have found a coin in the woods was 5 inches. It seems like the heavier something is then the deeper it will go. If you know of a site in the woods then hunt it. You may be surprised.

-Swartzie
 
Friends,

You did not guess what I mean... I don't mean that why you find objects in 2-8 inches.. that is the matter of your detectors... and possibly you find 100-200 years old objects because the area you search on is not very old...

I asked... Is it possible to find an object of age about 500, 1000 or 2000 years in the depth of 10-30cm in the woods like here http://forum.treasurenet.com/index....c,437891.msg3120620.html#msg3120620 ? and why?
 
TreasureGrabber said:
Friends,

You did not guess what I mean... I don't mean that why you find objects in 2-8 inches.. that is the matter of your detectors... and possibly you find 100-200 years old objects because the area you search on is not very old...

I asked... Is it possible to find an object of age about 500, 1000 or 2000 years in the depth of 10-30cm in the woods like here http://forum.treasurenet.com/index....c,437891.msg3120620.html#msg3120620 ? and why?

I'm in Ohio in the US. The oldest metal I'm going to find (and have found) will be from the mid 1700's. At least where I hunt. You have a good question. Will something that has been in the ground for 1000 years still be fairly shallow? I don't know. I have had worked flint flakes come out of holes that I have dug that were no deeper than six inches.

Why stuff is found at the depths they are is also a mystery.

-Swartzie
 
I really dont believe things "sink" in the ground, forest or even school yards. In the school yard, things are trampled into the mud, or new sod is spread every now and then, or even the old grass is completely removed and replaced. I know there are many theories about things sinking, but as far as I am concerned, its only in the sand that things sink, and that's because of the movement of the sand, by wind or water.
If mud has become so saturated with water, then its possible an item will sink, but it needs to be as wet as quick sand.
 
We are not speaking here that the things sink in the ground... they are just covered by leaves or grass every year and so on during centuries.... but actually are they covered or not that is a question....

because some people find objects of 500-2000 years old in 10-30 cm...
 
TreasureGrabber said:
We are not speaking here that the things sink in the ground... they are just covered by leaves or grass every year and so on during centuries.... but actually are they covered or not that is a question....

because some people find objects of 500-2000 years old in 10-30 cm...
If they are covered it would be what ever has fallen on the through time,hope this helps.God Bless Chris
 
worldtalker,
I thought your way too but this is not quite true... people do find very old objects in the forests... 10-30cm and that is fact(just check the link I have provided above)...
but why?... that is really not clear....
 
TreasureGrabber said:
worldtalker,
I thought your way too but this is not quite true... people do find very old objects in the forests... 10-30cm and that is fact(just check the link I have provided above)...
but why?... that is really not clear....
The only explaination I see is dirt has been added,or moved aroundfarming,trampled by animals,or man.Who knows what they did in bygone eras!As long as you can find them,all the better!
 
The only explaination I see is dirt has been added,or moved aroundfarming,trampled by animals,or man.Who knows what they did in bygone eras!As long as you can find them,all the better!

No, this is not the case... In the forests there are not the conditions you have described...
 
TreasureGrabber said:
The only explaination I see is dirt has been added,or moved aroundfarming,trampled by animals,or man.Who knows what they did in bygone eras!As long as you can find them,all the better!

No, this is not the case... In the forests there are not the conditions you have described...
Has it always been forest?What was there hundreds of years ago??
 
TreasureGrabber said:
The only explaination I see is dirt has been added,or moved aroundfarming,trampled by animals,or man.Who knows what they did in bygone eras!As long as you can find them,all the better!

No, this is not the case... In the forests there are not the conditions you have described...

What exactly are you asking? It seems that you are just interested in arguing.
 
Jason in Enid said:
TreasureGrabber said:
The only explaination I see is dirt has been added,or moved aroundfarming,trampled by animals,or man.Who knows what they did in bygone eras!As long as you can find them,all the better!

No, this is not the case... In the forests there are not the conditions you have described...

What exactly are you asking? It seems that you are just interested in arguing.

:laughing9: :laughing9: My thoughts also.
 
Yes you are right my friends, we have gone a little off topic...

the issue is, that the some people say that in the forest the ground is "stable" and the objects do not "sink" much... but I don't believe this and would like to have some idea... do they lie or just we don't know why the ground is "stable"...

The Main Question IS:
Is it possible to find an object of age about 500, 1000 or 2000 years in the depth of 10-30cm in the "undisturbed" woods like here http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,437891.msg3120620.html#msg3120620 ? and why?

Please if you know the answer, give some arguments... and take this issue seriously... it really makes our strategy in treasure hunting different...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom