What's new

Metal Detecting in wet ground

Starpilot

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 10, 2012
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I'm new to this site and metal detecting too. I'm very excited to start looking for relics and prospecting. I've heard it said detecting in wet ground is a better idea than dry ground. Is there any truth to this?
 
Like everything in life, the best answer is "it depends".

It depends on how "wet" you are talking about.
Moist is good, a swamp would be bad for recovering targets.
Moist soil increases the target halo making coins respond better, but it does the same to iron
Dry ground shrinks the halo, so targets very close to iron become easier to detect.
Drought conditions that make the ground like a giant brick makes recovery almost impossible. Any digging in ground that dry is a sure way to kill the grass too.
 
Thank you Jason,

I kinda thought that...do not want to kill the grass
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom