Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

kc0bus

Dec 8, 2005
My wish list would be:

1) Personal Computer interface. Being able to hook your detector up to your personal computer is a powerful idea, and one who's time has finial come. Being able to download updated firmware from the manufacturers website and then upload it to the microprocessor inside your microprocessor-controlled detector is now here! (The ham radio hobby already has it, why can't metal detectors?) This helps to improve the performance of the metal detector over a long period of time and help to keep the detector from becoming obsolete too soon.

2) The GPS idea already mentioned is actually a pretty good idea. With a GPS you could see where you've been and spots where you missed at the push of a button. Once you got home, you could hook up your MD to your computer see how much area you covered, how many miles you walked, etc. You could also plot out metal detector hits in association with the location to see a trend on where the hot spots are. Among other ideas I haven't thought of yet. ;D

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
I'd like to see a simple, one button GPS to mark finds and with a PC interface so that I can up-load that info into my computer and see where I went and where I found what. As it is, I carry a GPS anyway due to the remoteness of where I hunt, but I have to take it out everytime I find something and wait for it to acquire a signal then mark a waypoint... takes a few minutes, but it's still a pain. I want: Turn the detector on, hunt, find something, push "Mark" button, DONE!

I'd also like a simple way to just plug the machine into the wall and recharge it, instead of recharging the batteries in the pack or the battery packs. And how about a car charger? They do it with cell phones, right?

I also like the clock idea. I mean, how hard would that be to incorperate into the existing LCD screen? I'd pay the extra five bucks! Ever lost track of the time even though you had a watch on?

An Indiglow function would also be nice! Ever get a hit when it is getting dark?

I really hope Whites and Garretts read this!!!!!!

F

freemoney

kc0bus said:
My wish list would be:

1) Personal Computer interface. Being able to hook your detector up to your personal computer is a powerful idea, and one who's time has finial come. Being able to download updated firmware from the manufacturers website and then upload it to the microprocessor inside your microprocessor-controlled detector is now here! (The ham radio hobby already has it, why can't metal detectors?) This helps to improve the performance of the metal detector over a long period of time and help to keep the detector from becoming obsolete too soon.

2) The GPS idea already mentioned is actually a pretty good idea. With a GPS you could see where you've been and spots where you missed at the push of a button. Once you got home, you could hook up your MD to your computer see how much area you covered, how many miles you walked, etc. You could also plot out metal detector hits in association with the location to see a trend on where the hot spots are. Among other ideas I haven't thought of yet.? ;D

I like it but I dont see this being a option for a long time unless its only on the most top model

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
DigEmAll said:
I'd also like a simple way to just plug the machine into the wall and recharge it, instead of recharging the batteries in the pack or the battery packs.? And how about a car charger?? They do it with cell phones, right?

I really hope Whites and Garretts read this!!!!!!

Digemall, Fisher already uses that technology or did use it on their 1266X model. It could recharge either from 110AC or 12 volt DC.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, since I started this post I'll add my thoughts.

Metal detector manufactures, please don't stop making machines for the serious hunters. Make them as simple and rugged as possible.

Forget those screens and all the other battery consuming gimmicks. Just make a solid, dependable, deep seeking machine. If it can have excellent discrimination capabilities, awesome pinpointing, and be totally waterproof--all the better.

Just remember, there are those of us who hunt the really rough areas and we need powerful deep detecting machines that can stand the stress

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Dust, water and reasonably impact resistant. Considering the use metal detectors are made for, this is a no brainer. But most do not have these qualities.
Quick, easy, snap on, snap off coil exchange. No wires or other gunk.
Extreme adjustment in the shaft. How many of you want to teach your kids but cany adjust the thing small enough? A few manufacturers make short/long optional shafts, but it takes weeks to find and get them.
A top notch, no hassles lifetime warranty. If Tesoro can do it, they all can.
Computer interface is a nice idea. Down load your whole hunt. And if you have GPS, as others mentioned, the computer could print out a map of your finds.
More political advocacy. The manufacturers have the money, influence and ear of those who make law. They should start a detector advocacy group, all of them pitch in to get it off the ground, and include membership/dues with every detector purchase.
I am sure the detector market is very competitive, but if they all banded together on this and agreed, no one manufacturer would take a hit, as they would all charge the exact same additional fee for this.
I see the treasure mags full of eye catching, full page or multi page color ads, to sell to me. Well, how many detectors they going to sell when every spot is taken? Do you need a $1000 detector to search your yard?
I personally would not mind a $10 fee at all on each detector and/or coil for something like this. I am tired of being the bad guy. The finest detector on earth will not sell if the law will not allow its use.
I would also like to see some group such as Consumer Reports do regular tests on these detectors, using consistent criteria, to give us an idea how they compare.
It works with cars. Consumer Reports tests them, among many others, and even the stuff they disapprove still sells.
And while I am wishing, half a dozen virgin sites with no zinc pennies!
Hugger

Z

ZumbroKid

I just have to ask this one questions! Why do you think you need all this fancy crap? All the gizzmos in the world will not help if you do not hunt the right spots or choose to dig the right signals.

J

JBEIA

All I want is a detector that gives the composition of the metal under the coil. If it's a pop tap it will say 100% alum. if 14K ring it will say 33% AU and 70% silver, and so on. That's all I ask.

JBEIA

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Of all the hopes for future technology I have to agree with JBEIA. Just give me a detector that can distinguish aluminium from gold- that's all I ask.

However, the manufacturers are not going to listen to you because our industry is tiny and R&D dollars will always be tiny. The major player's revenue such as from Garrett and Minelab are not derived from hobby detectors but from security devices/mine detection.

Just look at the incredible investment George Payne made in new technology in the Treasure Barons. Here you have great new high end technology but few buyers. Perhaps the future sentiment is that high end investment is simply not worth it. New members on this forum always ask "What is the best detector for under $300". To that end the manufacturers are coming out with new mid-range detectors not high end such as Minelab's Terra X-50 or Whites M6. These new detectors are not superior to previous high end models just more affordable.

It would be different if detectors were as popular as ipods but that is not the case. Considering the traditional tiny MD market I certainly would not want to derive my income from MD manufacturing or God forbid being a MD dealer.

George

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
Out of all the ideas I mentioned above (Most were in the name of humor) The one I do believe is worthwhile, would be easy for manufacturers to do and a very useful IMO is the manuals and tracking software on CD. Writing a piece of software to do this would be a weekend project at best for any decent programmer. It would be useful for most every detectorist and style of detecting and would be a nice way for the manufacturers to show that they support out hobby and are not just after our money. Any other info or manuals they include on the CD's of course would be helpful, electronic format manuals are nice for us who hate hard copy.

-Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread