I found it in a gravel parking lot. It was right in the surface

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
There are several things I see in the photograph that interest me. In the first photograph, it appears that there are shiny "knobs." If this is a meteorite, then there will be evidence of melting on the outside. If you look very closely at it, does it appear to have been melted?

Also in one of the pictures, one of the surfaces seemed flat. Has it been cut or did it "come" this way? If is has been cut, rub some oil on it and examine it under a 10x or higher loupe. If it is a meteorite, it will show evidence of metal crystals. The picture enclosed has been acid etched to make the crystals stand out but you should be able to make them out.

If you've got crystals and melted outside surface, the chances of it being a meteorite is almost 100%.

Daryl

Attachments

• meteorite.jpg
    meteorite.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 331
  • meteorite2.jpg
    meteorite2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 322
Upvote 0

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
BP: Thx for the tips. I have a hunk of metal I was going to post...now I'll follow your guide before I do!

Swingit: Hope your find turns out to be one! :)

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Nitric acid is the favored acid for etching but Phosphoric has also been used. Soaking in the acid for 3-10 minutes will usually be enough. Problem is, this is a really strong acid. I would not recommend doing this yourself. You can get hurt and hurt bad.

Do you have access to a university? Is there one close enough for you to drive to? If so, they are set up to do this and would give you a hand. If you have access to the university, they most likely have a faculty member that can look at the specimen and tell if it is a meteorite right away. If it is, they may do the etching for you in exchange for a piece of it. It would be a good trade.

If you have a university close by and can't get anywhere with them, let me know and I'll get in touch with them and try to get you in to see the person you need.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread