Metal % ??

goldgrubber

Jan 26, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites 5900, Minelab Excalibur
Buy the Red Book, " A guide book of United States coins " by R.S.Yeoman. It"ll tell you pretty much everything you want to know.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldgrubber,
I've got the Red Book... but where in it are the percentages of metal content of the coins? Just wondering... thanks!

Bran <><

OP
OP
G

Green Frost

Oct 9, 2005
I have the 2007 Red Book, and I've looked at everything, and didn't see the metal % anywhere..

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Look on page 178 and 179. find a paragraph that starts with Designer. One under Draped Bust and Capped Bust. Go on from there for other coins

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, I think I may not have that section since mine's an older edition? :-\

Bran <><

goldgrubber

Jan 26, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites 5900, Minelab Excalibur
Hey guys, Actually my red book is from 2000. Guess I need to buy a new one. LOL. Right below the denomination of the coin, it gives the designer and then the composition. That will tell you what percent of different metals makes up the composition of that coin. Hpoe you can find it.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2000 huh? Mine's only the 28th Edition from 1975!!! ;D It used to be my great grandmother's, then my father's, now mine. My copy still does not have the percentage... bugger!! Thanks for the response though... :)

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365,
Well aside from "thank you", all I can say is "WOW?!!!" That's exactly the info I needed... and that site has most, if not ALL, of the coins that my Red Book has!! Pretty excited and gives a wealth of info! It's bookmarked now for sure... thanks!!!

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I know that the value can't possibly be based off of that website. I just like the info it gives for the coins though...

Bran <><

ELVISFAN

Apr 26, 2007
WEBB CITY MISSOURI
Detector(s) used
WHITES DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SILVER COINS 1964 ANS BEFORE 90% SILVER 10% COPPER
SILVER HALFS 1965 THRU 1970 40% SILVER 60% COPPER
NICKELS 75% NICKEL 25% COPPER

Top Member Reactions