Meteorite?

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004
Hello-

Found this rock metal detecting. (Gave out a reading.) Brought it home and did
a magnet test on it. Dark end(black) is attracted to the magnet. Brown part of the
rock is not. As you can see from the pictures, the black part runs completely through
the rock. It's about an inch across. Any ideas?

T.

Attachments

• Rock.jpg
    Rock.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 498
  • Rock 2.jpg
    Rock 2.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 488

paseclipse

Jul 10, 2005
Pasadena, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX4000, Minelab SD2100, White's GMT, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like hematite to me. The darker part was probably exposed to heat making it magnetic. I assume the darker part was protruding out of the ground?

OP
OP
T

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004
Thanks for the reply..

It was found in a plowed field and was not visible before being dug up. Can you
explain how heating rock can make it magnetic? Or is this just a characteristic of hematite?

One thing that doesn't show up very well on the pictures is that there is a small spot
on the "black" part of this rock that is the same color as the "brown part".

T.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is magnetite... its magnatic Hematite isnt. Hematite is from iron ore sediment mineral. Magnetite is iron oxide some containing manganese, nickel, chromium and titanium.

paseclipse

Jul 10, 2005
Pasadena, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX4000, Minelab SD2100, White's GMT, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first guess was magnetite too, however if it was magnetite it would be magnetic all over it. When hematite is heated up it turns magnetic, which is why I asked you if it was protruding out of the ground. I'm not sure how it turns magnetic when it's heated up but it does.

Either way, sorry you don't have a meteorite. Keep your eyes peeled though, because they're out there.

Kaimi

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2007
las vegas,nv
Detector(s) used
whites gmt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
paseclipse said:
My first guess was magnetite too, however if it was magnetite it would be magnetic all over it. When hematite is heated up it turns magnetic, which is why I asked you if it was protruding out of the ground. I'm not sure how it turns magnetic when it's heated up but it does.

Either way, sorry you don't have a meteorite. Keep your eyes peeled though, because they're out there.

Yep, he would know as he is always finding one just ahead of me. Going to have to start wearing track shoes to beat this young whipper snapper.

Aloha,
Stan aka Kaimi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread