Ok, I didnt mean to find this today... ID???

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I didn't mean to find this today... ID???

So I was detecting a park today and decided to detect around a HUGE old oak tree, and right at its base was a strong Silver 50 cent/$1 signal. I removed a pretty good sized "rock" from on top of the ground, then scanned again, but didn't get the signal? I was sorta confused, so I grabbed the rock and ran an air test on it... and sure enough, it still gave off a very strong signal!! So anyway, closer examination seems to look like a fragmented meteorite. It's almost bowl shaped a little bit. But to think about it, I've seen rocks like this before up here, though I've never scanned them before with my detector. So if anyone could take a look at these pic's, I'd be really grateful for some help on IDing it. Thanks! ;D

Bran <><

Attachments

• DSCF6855.JPG
    DSCF6855.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 579
  • DSCF6856.JPG
    DSCF6856.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 592
  • DSCF6857.JPG
    DSCF6857.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 582
Re: Ok, I didn't mean to find this today... ID???

iron slag,hot rock,iron ore,meteo-wrong ???

EDDE said:
meteo-wrong ???

lol... thanks? :D

Bran <><

Ditto! Dont see any fusion crust on any surface area. Dont stop looking tho as they are out there.

Aloha,
Stan aka Kaimi

Kaimi said:
Ditto! Dont see any fusion crust on any surface area. Dont stop looking tho as they are out there.

Aloha,
Stan aka Kaimi

There actually is... I tried to get a close up of it on the last pic, but couldn't get it to turn out. It looks like melted rock with a little pocket hole on the side that is certainly melted. It's heavier than any rock I've picked up that is that size... and it was COLD like metal when I had it in my hand while hunting yesterday!! I haven't tried cleaning all the dirt off because I don't want to mess it up somehow. But if it's truly slag, then who cares I suppose.

Bran <><

Take a diamond tipped file, you can get a cheap set from harbor freight,and file a window into the side to see what is inside. Then take a closeup pic and post that. It may offer more insights to what you have found. When in doubt "save it". I almost threw away a meteorite fragment from Gold Basin because it gave off a different sound from what I am used to hearing out at Franconia. Whew! Glad someone knew what is was and saved me a lot of grief.

Aloha for now, Stan aka Kaim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back