Meteorites

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
i use my gm/vsat for prospecting for gold - so far zero on finding nuggets. i have found two small meteorites. i wonder if i am missing something about how a meteorite is supposed to sound off with my rig or whether the iron meter is the only indication that i will get this is assuming that all meteorites will act like the first two. i also use a magnet on a wand for the meteorites but there seem to be a lot of rocks that are magnetic. i keep wondering about these questions as i wander through millons of acres of sagebrush. wayne

Upvote 0
D

dougwjackson

meteorites

hey wayne,
those meteorites are possibly worth more than nuggets.
search the web, you'll find the sites that buy 'em.

I lived in WA but never found any there.
Doug

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw a tv special and them things can be worth a fortune!!Hit google search and hope ya find more!!Tons a au 2 u 2-John

OP
OP
W

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
doug - the last time that i was in salem,or on the north side going into the city, there was a palm reader that some poeple said was pretty good - if she is still around you might see her and save a lot of time searching for all kinds of things - i hope that the cost for her talents doesn't cost you more than the treasure and gold and coins that you find. wayne

OP
OP
W

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
hoser john - i saw that same tv program on meteorites - i was impressed - lordy if i only had talent! wayne

BobGC

Mar 27, 2003
WA state
Wayne,
Where about do you do all this prospecting? Do you ever go into other states?
I live in Eastern Wa. and I travel to other states. I have found 1 or 2 gold nuggets and lots of flour gold. Found the nuggets in Idaho. Flour gold is not hard to find in river beds, old mining camps, etc. I like to go prospecting for old caches or anything else that's interesting.

Bob

OP
OP
W

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
bob = i have prospected in this state (mostly in eastern wa.) i prospect in oregon - idaho and once in a while in montana. at first i used only a pan a shovel and a sniff bottle. now i use a metal detector and a bunch of other equipment - some i bought and some i made. i have also prospected in northern wa. the best place that i have found is huntington, ore. at the blue bucket gold diggins and rv park. most of my prospecting now days is within 95 miles of my home. i joined the gpaa for this year and plan on trying a few of their claims. is there any town close to where you are in eastern wa.? wayne

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
W

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
rod - thanks for the site. i was going to read the whole thing but something has happened to the size of my written text - so - i have a trouble shooting job to do right now. thanks again. wayne

Hardpan

Mar 20, 2003
Wayne, I prospect with a White's GMT. If I'm looking for meteorites, I switch from auto to manual ground balance, as the automatic ground will otherwise cancel out most of the stony-iron and stony types of meteorites. The iron types will sound off even in auto ground because they have so much nickel, but you'll miss the more common carbonaceous chondrites. Get a sample from a gem and mineral show, or online dealer to tune with. Good luck, Hardpan

OP
OP
W

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
steve - i'll give you a suggestion that will make meteorite hunting more exciting - try to catch a ride with the next space shot - maybe you can catch one before it hits the earth - that also might make it more valuable as a VF rating ! some guys only use a magnet on a string for finding them but my guess is that they are more knowledgable than me on this topic. wayne

OP
OP
W

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
hardpan - thanks for the information on the gmt. i hope to get the xlt one of these days and i suppose that the information would be just as valid for it. i will try to find some meteorites at the next rock show for calibration purposes. thanks again. wayne

Hardpan

Mar 20, 2003
Wayne, you need to get the book, "Rocks from Space" by Norton. It's the bible for meteoite hunters. Also, for online meteorite dealers to buy samples from, the best is all the links at meteoritetimes.com/. I was lucky enough to buy an L-4 Chondrite from the Gold Basin strewn field directly from the finder at a local gold and gem show here in the phoenix area, for a very reasonable price. With a little searching, you can do the same. Goods luck, hardpan

OP
OP
W

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
thanks hardpan - i'll start looking right now. we are having two very good rock and mineral shows in the next couple of months -- yakima,wa. and the tri city area in pasco,wa. i'll also check out the meteorite email address that you gave me - thanks. wayne

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread