What's new

MIA Bracelet "Chief"

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2011
Messages
1,158
Reaction score
488
Golden Thread
1
Location
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MIA Bracelet "Chief"

So today my Sergeant and I hit the area behind my S-3 shop that has been providing some much stuff lately. He has STILL yet to get a MD so he digs when I get a hit. I do STILL feel bad about it but he is insists on digging. The area today, again provided an opportunity for a pause for reflection. At the bottom of a plug we found a bent piece of copper. We instantly knew what it was from the last one we had found. It was another MIA bracelet. There was only half of it but there was enough information to narrow down who it honored. The bracelet honored CW2 Frederick L. Cristman. He went MIA on 3-19-71. He was a CW2 when he was shot down flying his UH1C "Iroquois" and he was posthumously promoted to CW3 some point. I am including the links about him and the details behind his being shot down.

So here is to "Chief". RIP my friend

http://www.pownetwork.org/bios/c/c130.htm

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=17371310
 

Attachments

  • 2nd MIA Barcelet.webp
    2nd MIA Barcelet.webp
    13.3 KB · Views: 865
  • 2nd MIA Barcelet (1).webp
    2nd MIA Barcelet (1).webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 866
  • CW2 Cristman.webp
    CW2 Cristman.webp
    6.4 KB · Views: 810
Upvote 0
Re: MIA Bracelet "Chief"

Very touching. Thank you for sharing that.
 
Re: MIA Bracelet "Chief"

Amazing find, Papa. Another MIA bracelet in the same area. That seems kind of wierd ??? Just currious on how you figured out his whole name. I just see half of the bracelet.
 
Re: MIA Bracelet "Chief"

You are the Man Papa Bear, Another Good Find.
A Salute to our fallen Veteran. :icon_salut:
FNMK K. R. Zack USCG 1975-79
 
Re: MIA Bracelet "Chief"

The rank, first name and month of going MIA were on the bracelet. Its the only name that appeared when I did a search.
 
Re: MIA Bracelet "Chief"

Papa Bear said:
The rank, first name and month of going MIA were on the bracelet. Its the only name that appeared when I did a search.

Excellent job. Did you have any luck contacting the family of the last one you found?
 
Re: MIA Bracelet "Chief"

K Zack said:
You are the Man Papa Bear, Another Good Find.
A Salute to our fallen Veteran. :icon_salut:
FNMK K. R. Zack USCG 1975-79

Thanks K Zack.
 
Re: MIA Bracelet "Chief"

Crazyjarhead said:
Papa Bear said:
The rank, first name and month of going MIA were on the bracelet. Its the only name that appeared when I did a search.

Excellent job. Did you have any luck contacting the family of the last one you found?

No. Its a dead end right now. I just updated the post with the latest information. I may have to contact the City of Chattanooga,TN and see what they have recorded as relatives.
 
Re: MIA Bracelet "Chief"

James I salute you for doing fantastic work! I am sure the family would love it. :icon_salut:
 
Re: MIA Bracelet "Chief"

birdman said:
James I salute you for doing fantastic work! I am sure the family would love it. :icon_salut:

Thanks Trent! I need to see how close the town he came from is. It is here in NC. If I can make contact I may just have to make a road trip with my MD in the truck.
 
Re: MIA Bracelet "Chief"

lost hunter said:
WOW good find :notworthy:

Thanks LH. It has been a good couple of months with what I have found.
 
Re: MIA Bracelet "Chief"

Nice find. I think I might have one of those bracelets, that I wore in the late 60's and early 70's.
It was made of copper, and was for the POW Loren Torkelson. It was actually pretty cool, as I wore
that thing till it made my wrist green, and in 1973 he was released and came back home. I haven't
thought about that bracelet in many years, but I'm sure my folks still have it around somewhere.
This hobby is just plain awesome!!

Slab
 
Re: MIA Bracelet "Chief"

Great post Papa.
Nice job on the research. :thumbsup:
Well done,
MM
 
Re: MIA Bracelet "Chief"

Slabman said:
Nice find. I think I might have one of those bracelets, that I wore in the late 60's and early 70's.
It was made of copper, and was for the POW Loren Torkelson. It was actually pretty cool, as I wore
that thing till it made my wrist green, and in 1973 he was released and came back home. I haven't
thought about that bracelet in many years, but I'm sure my folks still have it around somewhere.
This hobby is just plain awesome!!

Slab

Thanks Slab. I have to wonder if after posting this, more people have thought about this lost service member in the last 12 hours than in quite a while. Yes it is a great hobby, especially when combined with the researching of history.

PB
 
Re: MIA Bracelet "Chief"

ModernMiner said:
Great post Papa.
Nice job on the research. :thumbsup:
Well done,
MM

Thanks MM.
Just doing my part....

PB
 
Re: MIA Bracelet "Chief"

cool post :icon_thumright:.... nice find
 
Re: MIA Bracelet "Chief"

Your diligence has honored this fallen warrior and you have introduced him and his story to this audience. Thank you.

I well remember Operation Lam Son 719. I was flying UH-1Hs with B/229AHB/1CAV at the time. A lot of 1st Cav helicopters of all types were sent up there (I Corps, on the border with Laos) from III Corps, where we were operating at the time. I wasn't among the aviators sent along with them. It is impossible to overstate what a colossal screw-up this operation/invasion was. The sheer incompetence involved cost a lot of good men, including this young CW-2, their lives. Those interested can find numerous accounts elsewhere. Nothing, not one single thing, was gained by this operation.

This thread has brought back a lot of memories. Could I have ever been as young as that young man appears? No, I'm sure not. It also reminds me that, as I have said here and many times in the past, I'm the luckiest guy I ever knew.

Chuck
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom