What's new

Military button

MightyMouse82

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
83
Reaction score
71
Golden Thread
0
Location
Manheim, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
I found this Military button about 2 inches deep on my property in upstate New York. Can anyone tell me anything about the era or any other information? I can make out 2 letters on the back, "O" and "P" I believe.

Thanks for looking!
 

Attachments

  • button1.webp
    button1.webp
    122.8 KB · Views: 187
  • button 2.webp
    button 2.webp
    87 KB · Views: 185
  • button 3.webp
    button 3.webp
    69.7 KB · Views: 185
  • button 4 (rear).webp
    button 4 (rear).webp
    72 KB · Views: 185
It's called a "Great Seal" button and has been in use since 1902. Here is a little info from Albert's Button book:

THE NEW BUTTON FOR THE U.S. ARMY.

"One style for all arms and all grades, private to Lt General. The only
exception is the Engineer Corps, who are to retain their present design.
Bronze for service and gilt for dress. The design is a copy of the great
Seal of the U.S."
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom