mill dump glasss

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
I work at a slag recycling plant in Ohio. I find a lot of glass from Ohio and pa. Either while digging with the track-hoe or from what comes through the screening plant. My cam batt. went dead while i was trying to focus it will post pics after cleaning and sorting.
Most date from 30s to 50s , and some earlier like telegraph insulators. Some of the more interesting pieces are..

silver seal meadow gold milk bottles. 1930s
40-60 feet down

Norka "Akron spelled backwards" sparkling beverages bottle.
red rock cola bottles "the only soda ever endorsed by babe ruth"
these were found closer to surface

hazel atlas-milk glass- dutch theme- salt, pepper, cloves, ginger, sugar shakers -1940s-
40-60 feet down

petticoat telegraph insulator patent may 2 1893 / Hemingray No. 42 insulator, other unnumbered hemingray's .
These were from along old rr

2" tall milkglass "cream bottle?" Deckers dairy Hightstown n.j.
40-60 feet down

I'm not sure why its there but i do know the deeper stuff is mixed right in with the mill slag from steel mill in i think Sharron PA dumped from railroad cars in the 30s - 40s .
The whole valley was filled approx. 60 feet deep then the old 1800s railroad was moved from the edge of the property to the center over the filled valley making it a more straight line.

ok finally to my question, other than soaking and rinsing repeatedly in water whats a good way to clean this glass without rubbing it ? what is stuck to it is very gritty and with scratch the glass and the paint or ink labels.
Is the something i should add to soak them in?

Mr Ripley

Jul 31, 2009
Western PA
Taz, you are killing me.

I am a collector of Mercer Co. PA (where Sharon is)bottles and you are finding these in a slag pile in Ohio?? Maybe I have been searching the wrong state all this time. Are you near the border? :icon_scratch:

I am very interested in what you are finding. I am primarily interested in bottles embossed with town names in Mercer County. Please feel free to drop me a PM and I will be happy to help with IDing any of your glass.

As for painted label sodas, rinse (do NOT rub) and let them sit in a dry place for months. You have to give the paint a chance to regain stablity. Then you can gently begin the cleaning process. Be patient. Sometimes it still comes off... :-\

Post some pics!

Mr R

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread