Mine at the mouth of the Ohio River?

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
While searching the map collections i found a ( MAP OF NORTH AMERICA 1765 ) of all the locations on this map, i was surprised to see in large letters MINE. it shows it just south of the mouth of the ohio river. i checked a map from the year 1755 and it was not listed. went to another map from 1805, nothing listed. why is a mine shown on the map of north america? maybe someone around that area can figure it out. below is the library of congress map collection web site. use search to locate the map it has a lot of detail. i belive there are two are three other maps of 1765. that donot have the detail that this one has. boomer

Map Collections Home Page
The Geography and Map Division of the Library of Congress holds more than 4.5 million items, of which Map Collections represents only a small fraction, those that have been converted to digital form.
memory.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/gmdhome.html

Attachments

• 2013-10-05 10.29.59.jpg
    2013-10-05 10.29.59.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 2013-10-05 10.30.14.jpg
    2013-10-05 10.30.14.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Mines

Jedediahspringfield, your close, but i was going to put that on next. the map that i first saw had the mine on it just south of the mouth of the ohio. just north of the mouth was a listing of a french fort at the point of the ohio mouth. the map that i was looking at had a yellow coloring to it. if you go to the early maps, say 1650 up to 1810 you will find it. also i went southwest and found the missions of the southwest one map had the entry st. barbara the mines are abandoned the map was 1765. the maps show spanishforts, french forts, englishforts and indian towns. i was surprised to see here in kentucky several maps that had walkers fort 1750. no one was in kentucky at this time, well the history experts were wrong. those that are looking for early sites have a gold mine, if thay go and look at each map. boomer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread