Minelab Excalibur Signals/Sounds

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
I know this should post under metal detectors, but, since this detector is mostly used in our field, shipwrecks/beach hunting i figured i would get more responses.
I am trying to figure the sounds and the little quircks out such as when it goes silent and then resets to a different tone. What are the tones for, higher pitch vs lower etc? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, for now i dig everything, so for those who think they can trick me and tell me opposite about signs, I am onto you!

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes some serious practice to figure it out. I would start by setting up a treasure garden. It's as simple as taking some change (quarters, nickels, dimes, pennies) and things like silver and gold rings (not the wife's good stuff), and staking out a little area at the beach. plant the items just on the surface at first about a foot or two apart, and run your coil over them and listen for the differences in the tone. Then over time just plant them a little deeper each time.
You will also find that some trash items like aluminum pull tabs will sound allot like gold items in the headset. Again it just takes some practice of just listening to the tones. You will also have to differentiate between detecting a target, and the normal tone of automatic frequency changes. Then you will also have to determine your propper knob adjustment settings. It will just take some practice and experience (sometimes frustrating at first), but in no time you should be detecting with relative ease and learning the differences between detecting on dry sand and moving to wet sand as well as sand with a high mineral content -V- just normal sand.

PS don't forget to bring the wife's jewelry back when you are done.

Tom

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Thanks for the advice, only if it came sooner, the wifes jewelery has been "misplaced" for quite some time now!:-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread