Minelab experts, I need some help...

Painter65

Jan 10, 2009
Wilmington,NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150, Minelab Soveriegn Elite, Minelab 305
Not sure if this is where to post this..(likely its not), feel free to move it if so.

I have a question about my Minelab Sovereign Elite that has me a bit baffled. I got this detector used, in excellent condition, but I believe there may be a lock nut or something missing. The lower rod, that slides into the fiberglass shaft seems to just slide in and out with no real means of securing it. Ive noticed while detecting it will easily slide down out of the rod a inch or so, thus I watch it alot. Im wondering if maybe a locknut or something may be missing from the lower assembly to keep all this secure. Also on the lower rod, I notice a hole in the small shaft assembly that connects to the coil, I assume this is for a reason but Im not sure what it is...
If it is a simple fix maybe my local dealer will have something on hand, if not I can certainly order, I just need to know whats missing if anything...

This is basically what Im talking about, should there be a lock nut or something to keep this assembly secure?
Minelab1-1.jpg

This shows the hole I was refering to in the lower shaft that connects the coil:
Minelab3-1.jpg

I would certainly appreciate your thoughts on this....Its kind of a thorn in my side right now. That or Im just paranoid.....

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never owned a MINELAB, but that looks like a "Ball Detent Hole" to me. Rotate the coil & lower shaft 180 deg. and see if a ball doesn't pop up.

OP
OP
P

Painter65

Jan 10, 2009
Wilmington,NC
Detector(s) used
My thought exactly but there is no ball in there at all....mybe thats what I need?
thus the reason for my concerns....thanks for the reply though!!!

superficialbob

Jun 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites mxt,Garrett Ace 250
HEY, MINE CAME OUT TOO, I WENT TO THE AUTO PARTS STORE AND PURCHASED SOME PLASTIC EPOXY, AND REINSTALLED. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT AGAIN, HOPE THIS HELPS. HH

OP
OP
P

Painter65

Jan 10, 2009
Wilmington,NC
Detector(s) used
Your "WHAT" Came out...thats likely the answer to my question.

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same style shaft on my Minelab GT but it is fixed fast, doesn't want to budge at all. My guess is you're missing something like a rubber grommet which holds the two shaft pieces together by friction. I would go with the advice from superficialbob and epoxy it or even just tape the parts together.
Cheers, Mike

OP
OP
P

Painter65

Jan 10, 2009
Wilmington,NC
Detector(s) used
Duct tape is my new friend...... :thumbsup:

Ill get some Epoxy soon.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
My Minelab Explorer XS has similar attachment, except it has a small hole through lower shaft and coil part, mine has what looks like a fiberglas pin in the hole, as it looks clear. I would drill a 1/16th. hole through both parts and insert a round toothpick, then shave off excess, then apply a band of electrical tape around the shaft in that area....Good Luck!..........NGE

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Both my minelabs are solid down there only one part no connection....

Attachments

• big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 358
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 363

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
That part is normally glued in. I have had to replace mine a couple of times, I have broken them when using a bigger coils it is bit of a weak point. seeya Neilo

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 Sovereigns, both are glued in. Get some marine epoxy, make sure it is aligned properly and glue it in, never have a problem again, and again be sure it is aligned.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread