Minelabs new GO FIND 20,40 and 60 Metal Detectors

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After logging a good many hours on my MLGF60 I will say that it does work and for the most part did it well. I will also say that unless you absolutely need the fold up feature of this detector you should choose another detector with the features you are looking for. The market is being flooded with new detectors that are in the same weight class and have better features all at a cost very near the price of this new addition.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After logging a good many hours on my MLGF60 I will say that it does work and for the most part did it well. I will also say that unless you absolutely need the fold up feature of this detector you should choose another detector with the features you are looking for. The market is being flooded with new detectors that are in the same weight class and have better features all at a cost very near the price of this new addition.

Thank You! Without actually using one, I was thinking the same thing. So many features are being offered with other new machines. Other than being able to fold up, I see nothing ground breaking about the GoFind that would make my detecting more enjoyable or productive.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any detector using plastic or composite nesting shafts is going to be a source of trouble when it gets mixed up with mud or sand. The Deus is OK, because the shafts don't nest. The Minelab CTX, the Garret ATX and the Minelab SDC2300 are all experiencing these kinds of problems to a greater or lesser degree. It seems that environmental testing isn't a high priority. You have to wonder who does the mechanical package for them, whether it's "in-house " or comtracted out.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any detector using plastic or composite nesting shafts is going to be a source of trouble when it gets mixed up with mud or sand. The Deus is OK, because the shafts don't nest. The Minelab CTX, the Garret ATX and the Minelab SDC2300 are all experiencing these kinds of problems to a greater or lesser degree. It seems that environmental testing isn't a high priority. You have to wonder who does the mechanical package for them, whether it's "in-house " or comtracted out.

Very true. Would not some in-field testers have noticed the problem? Or was it too far into production before they realized the incompatability of sand and sliding plastic?

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's hard not to get dirt/sand/mud on a detector. You have to touch the dirt. You have to touch the detector. I never worry about it with mine, and clean them each time after use with Armor-All wipes.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard not to get dirt/sand/mud on a detector. You have to touch the dirt. You have to touch the detector. I never worry about it with mine, and clean them each time after use with Armor-All wipes.

True. IMO, most detectors that use a standard telescoping metal/plastic rod system, are less likey to get ugly and scratched up compared to machines that use plastic of a larger surface area, that slides/folds together.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a tendency to lean on my arm cuff while I take a bit of a rest or inspect a find. With this series of detectors, you do not want to do that. The section above the coil is compression fitted and will collapse into the section above which caused me to about eat the end of the detector as I began to fall. This puts yet another meaning to fold up.

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dang how much he more free advertising is ML going to get on these here.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the Minelab forum for the discussion of Minelab products.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

For the most part, this thread is filled with your average consumer, not people pushing to sell them. New things come out and cause excitement and/or concerns, and people chat about it.

Johnny Hall

May 15, 2015
North Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
being a noob im very interested in the new minelabs as lesia (lisa) and i both want to work wet sand on banks of the suwannee river here close to home. my concern for the big truck guys is IF you run powerful cb radio amps you may cook the electronics in this new detector with RF energy OR some other road warrior large cars (trucks) with huge amp at truck lot will cook it for you , so you truckers be careful with your machine

back to the new md offering lesia has smart phones and this may very well be the way for her to immerse herself in md'ing even more and add pics to fb with her phone. im dumb as a stone about smarty phones so that part does not appeal to me much but auto gb does , i want to compare the new models especially the 20 to a compadre and see how that goes . maybe the planned umax will be a minelab ? time will tell

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
being a noob im very interested in the new minelabs as lesia (lisa) and i both want to work wet sand on banks of the suwannee river here close to home. my concern for the big truck guys is IF you run powerful cb radio amps you may cook the electronics in this new detector with RF energy OR some other road warrior large cars (trucks) with huge amp at truck lot will cook it for you , so you truckers be careful with your machine

back to the new md offering lesia has smart phones and this may very well be the way for her to immerse herself in md'ing even more and add pics to fb with her phone. im dumb as a stone about smarty phones so that part does not appeal to me much but auto gb does , i want to compare the new models especially the 20 to a compadre and see how that goes . maybe the planned umax will be a minelab ? time will tell
I carry a Ace 250 at times and at one time did carry a Garrett GTI1500 and never ha a problem with the detectors...

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that not the point of the 'Minelab' forum? For people to discuss 'Minelab' products? Mentioning the negatives about the arm cuff would not be considered good advertising, just an honest opinion.

Mekatataku

Greenie
May 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Go-Find 40
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can i just say that i'm simply left with a frustrated feeling after using the go-find 40. It's my first detector so might be the case, but it feels fragile and the handle is never truly locked in place, if you know what i mean (slack slack slack). The battery pack is also right where you have your hand, so i almost feel like i have to clean my hands before picking the machine up again, especially after digging in wet sand or dirt/mud. When using it earlier today, it didn't turn on due to dirt getting stuck inbetween the on/off button, and the audio jack was full of dirt.
So far i have only found junk and one coin, but there is absolutely no way of telling if it's one or the other before actually digging it up. It's also really hard to find any real info on how the machine operates best, and what you can expect. As a beginner, i simply feel like i'm put in the drivers seat with no instructor. Is it normal to have this experience with your first machine? Because i can see myself turning it into an "assembly required" machine if the frustration continues.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can i just say that i'm simply left with a frustrated feeling after using the go-find 40. It's my first detector so might be the case, but it feels fragile and the handle is never truly locked in place, if you know what i mean (slack slack slack). The battery pack is also right where you have your hand, so i almost feel like i have to clean my hands before picking the machine up again, especially after digging in wet sand or dirt/mud. When using it earlier today, it didn't turn on due to dirt getting stuck inbetween the on/off button, and the audio jack was full of dirt.
So far i have only found junk and one coin, but there is absolutely no way of telling if it's one or the other before actually digging it up. It's also really hard to find any real info on how the machine operates best, and what you can expect. As a beginner, i simply feel like i'm put in the drivers seat with no instructor. Is it normal to have this experience with your first machine? Because i can see myself turning it into an "assembly required" machine if the frustration continues.

You ask if being frustrated is normal the only answer is yes. If you can find someone with experience even if it is not a gofind. Have them point out good targets will help. Good luck.

Mekatataku

Greenie
May 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Go-Find 40
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well yeah, i figured it's normal to feel frustrated, but when i look at other people using different machines, they talk about strong signals and bad signals. With the go-find it's simply a bleep and one of the 4 icons blink. However most of the time it jumps between the icons and the signal dissappears/reappears at random. Should i just ignore these types of signals? Is it what people call an "iffy signal"? This is the type of info i have a real hard time finding, and the "manual" that comes with the machine does not cover it at all, hence the "beeing put in the drivers seat reference".

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well yeah, i figured it's normal to feel frustrated, but when i look at other people using different machines, they talk about strong signals and bad signals. With the go-find it's simply a bleep and one of the 4 icons blink. However most of the time it jumps between the icons and the signal dissappears/reappears at random. Should i just ignore these types of signals? Is it what people call an "iffy signal"? This is the type of info i have a real hard time finding, and the "manual" that comes with the machine does not cover it at all, hence the "beeing put in the drivers seat reference".

Most detectors will jump around more on junk. What I would recommend is to find some easy digging like totlots that are typically full of clad and ocassional jewelry. With easy digging you can just kick the wood chip aside and learn what kind of signals to dig.

Mekatataku

Greenie
May 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Go-Find 40
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most detectors will jump around more on junk. What I would recommend is to find some easy digging like totlots that are typically full of clad and ocassional jewelry. With easy digging you can just kick the wood chip aside and learn what kind of signals to dig.

Alright. Going out for a hunt tomorrow with a positive attitude. Do a few tests and get to know the machine a little better before judging it too badly.
Thanks for the response!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you could have another detector like maybe have a friend go with you and when you find a signal then back off and let the friend use another detector to evaluate the signal. I was fortunate to have a good area with good soil and against a Garrett ATP my GF 60 pretty much held its own.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you could have another detector like maybe have a friend go with you and when you find a signal then back off and let the friend use another detector to evaluate the signal. I was fortunate to have a good area with good soil and against a Garrett ATP my GF 60 pretty much held its own.

Wow, I am surprised that the $300 GF-60 would keep up with the $600 AT Pro. That is impressive, especially if hitting on the DEEP coins that the AT Pro hits on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread