Mining question for Wilderness area

ancientones

Apr 16, 2010
Hello Hard Rock miners,
I have a question. 'If there is a 'Wilderness area', and on the 'edge' of this area there is a large gold deposit and has NO impact
on the area for why it was designated Wilderness, is there a process a Mining co. or 'other' could do to have this area 'reviewed' for this to be exempted from the Wilderness to mine'? This is proof the mineral was there and area of said deposit size. It is also a known fact the mineral is there 'somewhere' in this Wilderness area.
Thank you for any feedback

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Hard Rock miners,
I have a question. 'If there is a 'Wilderness area', and on the 'edge' of this area there is a large gold deposit and has NO impact
on the area for why it was designated Wilderness, is there a process a Mining co. or 'other' could do to have this area 'reviewed' for this to be exempted from the Wilderness to mine'? This is proof the mineral was there and area of said deposit size. It is also a known fact the mineral is there 'somewhere' in this Wilderness area.
Thank you for any feedback
Have you checked to see if the area in question is open to "Mineral entry"?
Have there been "Mineral surveys" in the area of question?

OP
OP
A

ancientones

Apr 16, 2010
Thank for this and a little more info. I went to the FS office, 23rd and McDowell, with my material.
They advised no one was available, and to send a detailed email. This was done twice, 2 months ago,
still waiting for a reply. This is the Superstition Wilderness area-I do not know on mineral entry. If one found
ore in 2 sperate Mexican mines in close proximity, like the miners just walked away, can something be done to mine it?
Alot would play into this such as impact on the Wilderness, area it is in, but if not in the area the Wilderness was designated for, meaning little/no impact.
Thanks again for your responses. I am sure this has happened elsewhere, but can find limited info
and FS will not respond for me to present my material to them.

OP
OP
A

ancientones

Apr 16, 2010
Thank for this and a little more info. I went to the FS office, 23rd and McDowell, with my material.
They advised no one was available, and to send a detailed email. This was done twice, 2 months ago,
still waiting for a reply. This is the Superstition Wilderness area-I do not know on mineral entry. If one found
ore in 2 sperate Mexican mines in close proximity, like the miners just walked away, can something be done to mine it?
Alot would play into this such as impact on the Wilderness, area it is in, but if not in the area the Wilderness was designated for, meaning little/no impact.
Thanks again for your responses. I am sure this has happened elsewhere, but can find limited info
and FS will not respond for me to present my material to them.
Thank you for this. I think I need to inquire with a mining co. These are for the little guy like me.
This has been allowed before, a Mining Co. was able to exempt a part of Wilderness due to large ore deposit discovered and did not impact this Wilderness designated part. Prospecting is still allowed for this reason.
A group obtained a permit to open a shaft after the 20 year extension expired-it was not the LDM, what they were looking for. This was not to 'show' this was his mine.
Thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread