What's new

ML Repair update

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
1,237
Golden Thread
0
Location
Gulf Coast, Fl
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my Xcal back from ML today..... 3 days shy of a month. Looks like i got a new coil as requested. Differences i saw looks like i may have gotten some one elces pod. Mine had discoloration from silicone spry i noticed this one also clicked when switching between PP and disc mine didnt do that. They gave me a new skid cover. Now for the good news....... the rubber gasket under the cap going to the battery was missing..... and the battery its self was not there. May take a day or two to get it to me they said. Soooo how do you think their service was?

Dew
 
Upvote 0
I guess I fail to see how ML can 1... Take so long on repairs 2... Forget pieces vital to the proper operation of their own equipment and 3... Replace your pod with what appears to be someone elses pod.

I hope I never have to send mine in for repair work. I'd probably wind up buying another one.
 
As far as time on repairs sending one in in late spring to early summer is the height of the repair season. There is only one repair center on this side of the pond.

As far as stuff missing that is another story. Let's see how they handle that.
 
I would have a fit if they sent me somene elses pod with no explanation. A month in the shop is crazy...must have a ton of broken machines to repair to be that backed up. If the Excals didnt break down it wouldnt be so bad, but they seem to break often and you cant get them back from the shop in a reasonable amount of time...not good. Never owned one, just going by what Ive heard.
 
Good point about this being a high repair time. I dont want anyone to think the Xcal is anything less than advertised. Its one excellent .... i mean excellent machine. Repair or not.... id buy another its just that good. Had they not needed to do another pressure test it would have been out of their shop in around 10 days which i was told was the expected time frame.
 
I just bought a brand NEW ETRAC from Big Boys Hobbies and it was broken straight out of the box, Would not turn on.
I just sent it back Sat. i will update on what the outcome is on that. :icon_scratch:
 
I have had my Xcal for 12 years and it went to the repair shop once several years ago and it was almost 2 months before I got it back. Currently I think it's on it's last leg now had to rewire the headset due to cable insulation breakage, and found the wires themselves were failing. Resealed the headset connections before testing, fail on my part now only one ear phone is working. Don't want to send it in due to the long, long repair time, and this is the primary hunting time. Even if I'm finding only coins and junk jewelry. Sooner or later the good stuff will show up in my scoop. Once it gets into late September or October then I will send it in unless it dies first.
 
Got all my questions answered today by ML. I got a refurbished pod because mine didnt pass the pressure test. Those knobs.... going to auto, and pp to disc are supposed to have a switch CLICK.... mine never did. They are overnighting my battery and gasket. Looks like im a go.....

Dew
 
Your back in the game...go get that gold.
 
Hey, they got you going again. Hope my Excal II never breaks. I had to send my Duel Field and Sand Shark in for repairs last week. Got a call from the repair center for the Dual Field today. It was repaired and will be shipped tomorrow. The second time it has been repaired in just over a year, but the service has been terriffic. Waiting to see how long the Sand Shark takes to get back to me. Going to the beach on Thursday with only one water machine. Now that is a scary proposition!
 
Glad your back up and working............A lot of people forget ML only has one repair center, I know kellyco is an authorized repair center, but I do not know if they do pressure testing. I have sent stuff in to ML becasue of errors I made, dropping my cil and cracking it, headset wire breaking, most it took 2 to 3 weeks, but neither were sent in at their high volume repair time which is late spring and summer. I have seen members post they sent theirs in and were angry it was going to take 4 weeks to repair, yet in their post they said they knew the had a problem, but just didnt send it in till spring rolled around, they sat around all winter with it in the closet then thought I better get it fixed when spring rolled around and they started thinking about hunting....
 
I liked Whites serivce as well..... they fixed ANYTHING they saw needing fixing. They also had regional repair areas for a little faster turn around. We complain, but for the most part the major dealer do a bang up job. Especially since most of us have NO knowledge of what the repair entails or the steps they take to ensure it comes back to us correct the first time. Im still waiting on the battery.... but hopefully today. I may have to test it in the pool the waves are going to be terrible for several days. But if i aint getting it .... no one elce is either lol. So once it calms down ill be getting wet. As far as the Xcal.... you really have to love the simplicity of this machine.

UPDATE: just got the battery and gaskets.... along with a hat, mug, pin, bug spray, first aid kit, and hand sanitizer. Dont think im un appreciative ML.... but next time send me ummm a pod for batteries lol.
Dew
 
Last edited:
I liked Whites serivce as well..... they fixed ANYTHING they saw needing fixing. They also had regional repair areas for a little faster turn around. We complain, but for the most part the major dealer do a bang up job. Especially since most of us have NO knowledge of what the repair entails or the steps they take to ensure it comes back to us correct the first time. Im still waiting on the battery.... but hopefully today. I may have to test it in the pool the waves are going to be terrible for several days. But if i aint getting it .... no one elce is either lol. So once it calms down ill be getting wet. As far as the Xcal.... you really have to love the simplicity of this machine.

UPDATE: just got the battery and gaskets.... along with a hat, mug, pin, bug spray, first aid kit, and hand sanitizer. Dont think im un appreciative ML.... but next time send me ummm a pod for batteries lol.
Dew

Sorry you missed out on the Minelab pen and cheap carabiner/compass combo, like I received. Better luck next time! LOL
 
Oooops sorry i did get a pin..... disappointed about not getting a compass. I know its advertising stuff ill never use. Figure the cost of these items ill never use..... i would have preferred a AA battery pack. As far as advertising goes all that STUFF is kind of a waste of money..... word of mouth is and always has been good advertising. By the way..... im sending it back when i get the label. They arent done yet.

Dew
 
Oooops sorry i did get a pin..... disappointed about not getting a compass. I know its advertising stuff ill never use. Figure the cost of these items ill never use..... i would have preferred a AA battery pack. As far as advertising goes all that STUFF is kind of a waste of money..... word of mouth is and always has been good advertising. By the way..... im sending it back when i get the label. They arent done yet.

Dew

Well I hope you get it sent in and returned repaired soon! I am sure it sucks to be without it. I agree, sending something you could actually use might have placated you a bit. I thought the same. Had they send me a gift cert or something useful to ease my frustration, it might have changed my opinion. The pens/hat, etc stuff reminds me of a large Southeast based md distributor that throws in the Chinese garbage with each purchase.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom