What's new

MMA said, "Tap Out," So I Did...

Subterranean

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
3,966
Reaction score
8,893
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled the "tap out" o' the ground, that is. While detecting a school soccer field that is adjacent to an 1870's farmhouse, I found this big chunk of brass. A complete, tapered barrel tap, marked, "Peck Bros. Co. New Haven, Conn." I have never found one of these before so I must defer to wiser diggers than I for an approximate age/rarity/value/etc...

I also found a strange little item with an articulated spout "cover." Is this possibly part of a powder flask? It too was in the soccer field area of the same school.

I hit another school and found a weird "artsy" ring, another "flower power" mood ring, and a United Arab Emirates coin, 1 dirham, 2005.

No two hunts are ever the same! I haven't found silver or gold in a while but I'll take the relics any day. Happy Hunting to all, and thanks for looking, Sub 8-)
 

Attachments

  • Barreltap1.webp
    Barreltap1.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 148
  • barreltap2.webp
    barreltap2.webp
    58.7 KB · Views: 112
  • barreltap3.webp
    barreltap3.webp
    32 KB · Views: 121
  • barreltap4.webp
    barreltap4.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 113
  • barreltap5.webp
    barreltap5.webp
    35.3 KB · Views: 115
  • barreltap6.webp
    barreltap6.webp
    58.8 KB · Views: 122
  • barreltap7.webp
    barreltap7.webp
    44.7 KB · Views: 130
  • barreltap8.webp
    barreltap8.webp
    23 KB · Views: 111
  • barreltap9.webp
    barreltap9.webp
    29.4 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 30
Love the whiskey barrel spout! (I assume that's what it is")
That coin is neat too.
Should be interesting to hear what the experts think.
 
It's nice that you will be able to get a date range from the tap because of the mfg name.
 
outstanding.gif
Bet that barrel tap would clean up mice...
 
I'd leave some intelligent input here, but I'm all tapped out.

::)
 
Nice digs. The tap is cool.
 
Now you won't have to pay a deposit on a tap for your next wooded keg of brew.. :thumbsup:
 
that's a really cool tap, I bet that cleans up awesome!
 
I love the tap, always wanted to find a complete one but just find pieces. Yes, that's definitely the top to a powder flask too. I found one a couple weeks ago. Since you found both those in the same area, I would check that place very carefully, sounds like the soccer field could be on or near a really old site. Might want to look for any water sources nearby too and check around those.
 
Last edited:
I agree, you just never know...cool stuff !!
 
Nice finds, and indeed it is the control valve for a powder flask, looks to me like you are in a solid 1800's site - hard to pinpoint the exact date, unless you can find the barrel tap type and age since you have the company name. Because the nut on the bottom of it has more than four sides, I'd guess mid to late 1800's.
You have a very interesting site. WTG! and HH!
 
Man Sub, I love all those cool finds, that is so cool the Arab coin!
 
Thanks for the input guys! I was just doing my thing, looking for modern jewelry and coins in the old soccer field, when these beauties pop up, not too deep either, about 3" down. I found them about 200 yards behind the historic farm house in a nearby town. I am sure the original settlers farmed/ranched/hunted/partied on this acreage. I will hit it again and see what happens tomorrow. Sub 8-)
 
Cool bunch'a finds.

Keep those rings coming. Gotta get through the junk ones to hit the silver and gold.

Congrats.
 
Next to coins and rings artifacts are my favorite finds! Cool stuff!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom