Model ships

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best find was last year. My buddy was having a garage sale and cleaned out his cellar. He had a few model ships, from the 50s, that were given to him from someone that he had helped. They were on sale for 5.00 each so my wife and I bought them all. One of the ships was a Japanese Destroyer, and every thing including the instructions was written in Japanese. The only thing written in American was made in USA. It ended up going to Japan, and it sold for just over 800 dollars. The only thing I could figure that maybe the buyer served on that ship, or maybe it was his son that bought it. We had another just like it, but with a different name, that also went to Japan, and sold for just over 500 dollars. We were blown away, and so was my buddy when we split it with him. Wish we could do this more often.

Wow, I spent many, many hours as a kid building models, including lots of military ships and planes, but I can't ever remember seeing models of Japanese ships, especially with Japanese instructions. That sounds really cool, and the money you got for them was insane. Great job going back and splitting the cash with your friend!

Wish we could do this more often.

The luck sometimes seems to come in spurts.Its will be dry for a while,then bang,you come across something worth while.Right place right time,karma:dontknow:.I use to work one day a week in a friend of mines thrift store,thats how it would happen.One day I got to take home a ships whale oil lamp,a piece of early 18 century delftware(very little damage)and a piece of 1870s delftware,the next few weeks nothing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back