What's new

Modified spider coil cover

NGE

Silver Member
Joined
May 27, 2008
Messages
3,511
Reaction score
135
Golden Thread
0
Location
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been experimenting with my 11" DD pro coil cover. I searched all over , till I went into the dollar store and bought 2 12X17" Place mats. I set my coil on the backside of one of the place mats and drew with a ballpoint pen, the shape of the coil. Use plastic (not foam or paper) place mats! Next I have some silicone sealant, adhesive type goo from Radio Shack. I turned my coil over and put a thin layer on all contact points, then gently pressed it onto all the contact points, then set a couple weights on top of coil and put whole rig on the flat basement floor. This is the way to do it, because you can remove the cover the normal way to clean between the cover and your coil. The main reason I wanted to do this, is because of the open coil design hanging up on grass or field stubble. Also using the extremely light weight durable plastic mats, do not add any extra weight, and if you have two coil covers like I do, you can switch to the open cover for shallow water hunting. Now onto inventing an add-on sun shield to my Etrac (still experimenting) not enough sun shine in the Motor City. Here are a couple pics of what I have done.........NGE
 

Attachments

  • long shot.webp
    long shot.webp
    34 KB · Views: 277
  • up close.webp
    up close.webp
    43 KB · Views: 263
Cool tip Notgettinenny
Bob from center line MI
 
Uh..Same place I got the FREE LT subscription? :laughing7: J/K From Mikey at woodland detectors of course
 
The E-Trac comes with a coil cover allready on them. Unless !!!!! And your cord should go up inside the shaft down at the coil. :read2: :laughing7:
 
Roger, re-read my post. I did this because the openness of the coil hangs up on grass and field STUBBLE. And no one makes a solid coil cover for spider coils! My coil wire can't go up through the shaft because I have a SunRay X-1 probe on my upper shaft.........NGE
 
I don't like my coil open eather and wish they were solid one piece.I have the same problem with it hanging up on things to. I just didn't understand why you were putting that on and sounds like a good idea.I might have to give it a try myself.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom