What's new

Montreal Half Penny Bank Token with nice detail

PlzBSeated

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2014
Messages
503
Reaction score
4,934
Golden Thread
1
Location
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bank Token Obverse 041524.webpBank Token Reverse 041524.webp

Probably the best looking dug Canada bank token I have ever seen. All I could muster today.

Today's find...

1844 Bank of Montreal, Half Penny Bank Token

PBS
 
Upvote 64
That’s awesome
Congratulations on your great recovery
 
Those tokens have fine detail exposed which seems to wear quickly. Any I have seen or found have it worn, sometimes missing. I agree that it is in unusually great condition!
 
Wow...that coin is in fantastic condition! Any idea of the composition of those bank tokens? Congrats!
 
that is a Breton 527. Canada tokens are a huge collector game!

 
Wow...that coin is in fantastic condition! Any idea of the composition of those bank tokens? Congrats!
My guess would be copper-nickel like our early Indian Head Pennies. My guides on Canadian coins do not cover these tokens.

PBS
 
that is a Breton 527. Canada tokens are a huge collector game!

Thanks for the article!

PBS
 
Just based on the reddish colour of the ones I have, including one that did not get into the ground, I always assumed they are nearly pure copper. They have about the same colour as copper pipe.
 
Just based on the reddish colour of the ones I have, including one that did not get into the ground, I always assumed they are nearly pure copper. They have about the same colour as copper pipe.
You may be right. I am merely guessing based upon the patina which is similar to the U.S. fatty Indian Heads. More reddish than green, and dull in finish rather than shiny, even though the coin looks like it would have been new when dropped.

PBS
 
that's in great shape, I have one and it's barely recognizable, great find
 
PBS I agree that the color of the token is similar to a fatty US cent. I always thought those were nearly pure copper. But maybe I have to revise my thinking on the whole subject. Reddish to me has meant high copper content. Going more towards yellow denoted addition of other metals, to make bronze or brass. Not that it's of any great importance to the beauty of the coins we find, except perhaps influencing their corrosion in the soil.
 
this is easy to answer...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom