Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Long story, but was unable to hunt this weekend and I just had to get out tonight after work. Beautiful moonlit night to hit the cornfield. Couple of square nails and one ox-shoe. And I lost my lucky screwdriver (digging tool) Rats! I sure wish Garrett made a backlight for the ATPro screen. Stayed out until my fingers were too cold to tolerate any more but with the days being ticked off the calendar before the ground freezes,I had to suffer for a little while. Geese were flying and coyotes were singing.
HH
dts

Upvote 9

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you had a good time . I hear ya with the cold I got some awesome waterproof gloves I like hunting in the winter when the ground is less frozen no one at the parks and many other spots. Thanks for the post , Its not hard to make a light to light up your vdi display!!!!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear ya, do alot of night detecting and I think a back light should be mandatory on all but the cheapest detectors.

I solved that problem getting a Racer 2 but didn't get much of a chance to use it, was very nice having the illuminated screen at night.

There are a number of AT backlight mods on the net, including one right here

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/485490-pro-backlight-mod.html

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear ya, do alot of night detecting and I think a back light should be mandatory on all but the cheapest detectors.

I solved that problem getting a Racer 2 but didn't get much of a chance to use it, was very nice having the illuminated screen at night.

There are a number of AT backlight mods on the net, including one right here

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/485490-pro-backlight-mod.html

Thanks, Xraywolf. I'll look into it.Ihave a headlamp but I was trying for more of a stealth mode as I am visible from the roadway and didn't want to attract unwanted attention.I most definitely have permission to hunt this field but people up here get freaky after dark and most would consider menuts (maybe they're right) for MDing in the dark when the temp is below freezing. Some old lady would probably call the state police and that would be a hassle.
HH
dts

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The winter clock is ticking, we are all scrambling up north trying to get a few more productive hunts in before the ground is frozen.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With such short days I like to occasionally do a night hunt if the temps are above freezing. Wish I had a backlit readout as well. Was hunting a park last year with my headlight and a cop pulled in. He had been called by a neighbor who saw my light and thought I was up to no good. He wanted to see my finds and tell me about some of his old coins then went over to the lady's house to give her the low down, but I would much rather never be seen...tried the red headlight mode, but I'm afraid this might freak people out even more.

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
With such short days I like to occasionally do a night hunt if the temps are above freezing. Wish I had a backlit readout as well. Was hunting a park last year with my headlight and a cop pulled in. He had been called by a neighbor who saw my light and thought I was up to no good. He wanted to see my finds and tell me about some of his old coins then went over to the lady's house to give her the low down, but I would much rather never be seen...tried the red headlight mode, but I'm afraid this might freak people out even more.

AGREED about the red headlight mode. For some reason, the red headlamp really freaks people out, I'm sure they associate red with danger.

Went back yesterday morning on my way to work and found my lucky screwdriver! Going to be in the mid-40s this weekend so we have a little time left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread