What's new

More colonial? and other goodies. Fishy mystery, cool curio

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2015
Messages
1,016
Reaction score
1,417
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i just couldn't pass up this crazy warm weather... Back to where I found the shoe buckle and conn cent last weekend. I'm digging in a high valley that was settled by a number of families from Connecticut beginning in the early 1770s. The only clear homesites that remain though are the stone foundations of the next generation, who built larger farms in the 1820s. All of these were abandoned between 1860 and 1910. So I basically ranged over multiple sites, finding stuff from every era, with some modern rifle casings and beer cans just for fun/crazy-making.

Got a beat-to-hades draped bust cent (my only coin, sadly) and a nice fancy button, as well as a very interesting little curio bust. lots and lots of trash! But my favorites are the barrel tap, pewter decorative arrowhead, and fishing thingy, all of which were in a slightly removed area and close together...my take is that those are pre or contemporary with the revolution but happy to know if I'm wrong.

The last one (what I see as a fish) is a real mystery to me...28 grams, rings in a 12-31 on the etrac. Any ideas are welcomed!
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    219.8 KB · Views: 173
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    202.4 KB · Views: 170
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    293.3 KB · Views: 161
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    264.4 KB · Views: 180
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    234 KB · Views: 160
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    208.7 KB · Views: 166
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    310.1 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 16
Great weather and finds. I really like the little curio bust. A draped LC is a great find, in any condition.
 
That dandy button sure is a Biggin definitely colonial. Sounds like a really nice place to hunt
 
Thanks guys.

The dandy and the more primitive looking smaller button two to the left of it are both nice finds. I was in the fence about the dandy's date...still haven't been able to find a good reference for the large fancy buttons. I really enjoy the heck out of them, though!

Thanks for lookin'
 
Last edited:
Nice group of finds there. I like that dandy button. I believe your pewter arrowhead thingy is the back end of a pewter spoon.
 
Thanks guys.

The dandy and the more primitive looking smaller button two to the left of it are both nice finds. I was in the fence about the dandy's date...still haven't been able to find a good reference for the large fancy buttons. I really enjoy the heck out of them, though!

Thanks for lookin'
Those large "dandy" buttons typically show up on sites from the 1780s to about 1810.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom