Morels and alcohol

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Just caught up with your topic Steve, and let me tell you that I have been an avid morel hunter and eater for many years and YES the combination of alchohol and morels can do exactly what you you described. (to some people) I introduced my then new wife to the gormet meal of fresh morels and Creme de Cocoa liquore. and in 30 minutes she performed all the symptoms you did. A week later I convinced her it was the combination that got her and made another meal minus the drink and wow! the same effect, but with some very foul names being applied to me between the Dry Heaves. Each of these batches were eaten by me also with no bad effect + hundreds of other meals. I am not affected adversely by either False Morels or true mountain morels and I wash em' put em' in a zip lock and with a pat of butter and Zap them for 30 seconds in the microwave. My wife buys her mushrooms...not morels..At Fred Meyers.

Attachments

• flowers.jpg
    flowers.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 539
Jun 2, 2022
I think it is important to revive this post. I recently had a very similar reaction to OP. I have been eating morels for years and never had a bad reaction. Last Sunday, I purchased some fresh morels from New Seasons Market and sauteed them thoroughly in a cream sauce that I served over pasta. Prior to eating the morels + pasta I had a double whiskey. About 20 minutes after dinner, I became violently ill. I was basically incapacitated and I had to call my wife using my cell phone because I could not walk. She called 911 and an ambulance took me to the ER where I spent about 8 hours in recovery. Docs ran all kinds of tests, my pancreas was inflamed such that it triggered pancreatitis. Doc said it was the worst case of enteritis he had seen. I was given a bunch of anti-nausea medication. Now it is four days out, my stomach is still cramping a bit but generally I am better.

I think they should place a warning sticker on morels at the supermarket warning people to avoid alcohol. It was really bad for me, scary for my family, and not something I would want anyone to have to go through.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread