Most Important Finds of the Day!!!!!!!!

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Well, I have been contemplating posting these finds, but believe they too also need to be recognized. I have been only detecting the beach this winter and have been bothered by the amount of trash I see every single time I hunt. I saw a special on Oprah regarding the huge garbage swirl the size of Texas in the middle of every major ocean consisting of mostly plastic. The largest percent of the trash finds its way to the swirl from garbage thats is blown in the water from land. I believe Jacques Cousteau's son is heading up the cleaning. While I was out today and everytime I am at the beach or land detecting I make a point of grabbing as much garbage as I can. I am posting the garbage I grabbed today. If I go back tomorrow I guarantee the same amount of trash will be there again. I use the plastic bags I find to hold the other trash. At one point the wind blew a plastic bag by me into the water. I ran and grabbed it with the coil of my detector. There were 6 Shaws Market grocery bags. I believe Ireland charges 5 cents a bag to customers, which caused most people to use there own non plastic bags. I think California has banned plastic bags in super markets. :icon_scratch:
Well I just think our metal detecting community can make a difference if we all do our part to make an effort in picking up trash before leaving our sites. Just my two cents. :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• IMG_2211.JPG
    IMG_2211.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,518
  • IMG_2212.JPG
    IMG_2212.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,524
  • IMG_2213.JPG
    IMG_2213.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 1,517
  • IMG_2214.JPG
    IMG_2214.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,502
  • IMG_2215.JPG
    IMG_2215.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,500
  • IMG_2216.JPG
    IMG_2216.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,504
  • IMG_2217.JPG
    IMG_2217.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,490
  • IMG_2218.JPG
    IMG_2218.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,489
  • IMG_2219.JPG
    IMG_2219.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,468
  • IMG_2220.JPG
    IMG_2220.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,469
  • IMG_2221.JPG
    IMG_2221.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,473
Upvote 0
Felinepeachy said:
creeper71 said:
exactly IP.. Those bags an wrappers get into the water an sea animals an fish try to eat them an die from it..

YES! Plastic bags and the like, kill!
Those images break my heart. Glad to see we all feel the same here. :icon_thumleft:

The fine here in north carolina is $200 but you dont see it being enforced . hey i have seen a policeman throw trash out the window, see people throw cig butts out the window everyday. do you know how long those filters take to dissolve, forever. they need to enforce the law and put them in jail for one week and the 200 fine. let them lose a weeks wages and 200 they just might think about it the next time. Don....

I am on the Outer Banks of NC and they just passed a law in the county I live that stores cannot use those plastic bags any longer. Most stores have gone to old fashioned paper bags, made from recycled paper. I believe The main reason they passed the law was to protect wildlife. I hear a lot of people complain about the paper bags, but personally, I kind of like them. I never liked how the baggers put like one or 2 items per bag, making the average grocery order seem like you had to carry a 100 bags! And I get sick of seeing the plastic bags blowing around as well. Good job picking up the litter. I try to, but sometimes it seems overwhelming to keep picking it all up. And I supposedly live at one of the cleaner beaches.

I agree catbird. :icon_thumleft:
I wish we would outlaw plastic bags in mass littledman. :-\

Great job! :icon_thumright: Where ever I go detecting I take 2 bags with me, one for trash and one for finds. I always do well on finding trash, not so good on finds.

Deepdiger60 said:
Felinepeachy said:
Imagine the revenue that would be generated if people actually were fined for littering. I mean, they say it's illegal but you never see someone getting a ticket for doing it. We need a "Crackdown on Crap!" campaign. :tongue3:
Not in this drip water town you get caught tossing a paper cup out the window your pulled over its a 85.00 sur-charge plus the fine 150.00 i been to Vermont that is one really clean state why because the fines are huge to litter.

california is a 1000 dollar fine regardless of where or what you littered.

Hey Garabaldi,
Like Ireland, they're charging 5 cents a bag in grocery stores up here in Canada too (at least in Ontario where I live). In fact, it's becoming more common to see folks bringing thier own recyclable fabric bags or hard plastic bins to the groceries now. Good on you. Keep it up. :icon_thumleft:
Saint

Thumbs up to you!!!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Ireland charges €0.22 for a plastic bag, it might be even higher these days, i haven't got one in ages :headbang:

Hip Hip Hooray for Ireland and Canada. :icon_thumleft:
I believe San Fransisco outlawed plastic bags in Grocery stores. One of the reason the beach I hunt has so much trash is the city trash barrels have no tops. They need to replace them with the new solar powered trash compacter containers. The ones you need to pull open the slot to put your trash in. Its windy at the beach. Not sure why they haven't figured this one out. ::)
Mrs Bloom said:
Great job! :icon_thumright: Where ever I go detecting I take 2 bags with me, one for trash and one for finds. I always do well on finding trash, not so good on finds.
Way to go Bloom.

Garabaldi said:
I agree catbird. :icon_thumleft:
I wish we would outlaw plastic bags in mass littledman. :-\
Nice work on the post here! good topic and nice work doing the right thing, also am I wrong in my memory here or wasn't it not to long ago that the phrase of the day was "save a tree, use plastic" seems kind of odd now, and if I am not mistaken it was the "Greens" who came up with that one to!

Chuck.

Excellent post! If everyone took time to clean up their little corner of the world, it would make a big difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thank you for doing this! :hello2: This deserves to be in the honorable mention section. :icon_thumright: This is the kind of stuff we can do as metal detector hobbyists that build up our reputations as good citizens.

catbird said:
The fine here in north carolina is $200 but you dont see it being enforced . hey i have seen a policeman throw trash out the window, see people throw cig butts out the window everyday. do you know how long those filters take to dissolve, forever. they need to enforce the law and put them in jail for one week and the 200 fine. let them lose a weeks wages and 200 they just might think about it the next time. Don....
I wish we had that in the UK :'( it only takes a few examples to catch on, litter here a real problem :'(

Great work Garabaldi :notworthy: :notworthy: :headbang:

SS

:icon_thumright: It's a 500.00 fine here in vermont if you get caught throwing trash on the ground !

Way to go on picking up the trash. :icon_thumright:

Wow, the responses to this post has been overwhelming. Thanks you all for the comments. What a great group of people on this site and in this hobby. :notworthy:
Seems like we all have the same pashion for our environment. :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for picking that up. I passed a field near Freeport, Tx a few years back. In that field were many cacti. Upon those cacti, and spread for a quarter mile, were plastic bags. Hundreds of them. Those will take years to go away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back