MOst Silver Finds In Year

carib hunter

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2007
Now that I'm older, a senior citizen with a not so good memory. if I have already bored you with my silver finds for 1991, I apologize.
Since 1973, I've been using, buying, trading & selling metal detectors. Along the way I started several treasure hunting clubs and a yearly treasure hunters convention in N.H. In 1973 I helped organized the Yankee Treasure Hunters and in the 90's the Professional Treasure Hunters Historical Society & Museum, a newspaper for treasure hunters and a annual convention for metal detector owners & prospectors.
Over the years, I detected when ever I could and I found thousands of relics, buttons, artifacts, valuables, U.S. coins & historical artifacts.
In 1990 after finding 200+ silver coins at an old Carival Ground, on Marlboro St., in Keene, NH, I set a personal goal of 365 silver coins for 1991. By May of '91, I was still under 100 Silver finds and getting discouraged. Then, Mike Hapsis of Farmington, NH, told me. "they were cleaning & exchanging beach sand at Revere and 100s of silvers were being found". I thought the story was too GOOD TO BE TRUE and passed it on to my fellow members, "as hearsay." Soon the Find of Month Contests at club meetings had all kinds of semi-rare silvers, gold coins & expensive gold rings being entered. I asked where they were finding it, they said, thanks for the lead about Revere.
Because I worked full time & sold metal detectors on my off time, it was a long time before I get to Revere Beach. With good friends, Martin Miffek & Mark Woodard, I arrived at Revere in August of 1991. We found the beach picked clean. How ever, along the retaining wall, was a mile long, 12 foot wide & high, pile of old beach sand. We tried detecting it & didn't have much luck. We vowed to return, after the next storm.
To help reach my silver goal, on rainy days I started using a Fisher 1280-X underwater metal detector and the silver finds mounted. In September, I revised my goal to one where I felt I had more of a chance of achieving and added the 60 silver religious metals found in Maine waters in the summer. On 10/30/91 I found my 165Th Silver coin and now, only needed 200 silver items to make my goal.
The storm of the century arrived at Revere Beach just before Halloween in 1991. Martin, Woody & I went to Revere Beach on the last day of the storm. While looking over the beach, we discover the long pile of sand along the retaining wall was gone. Upon closer inspection of the beach we saw little piles of sand with old coins on top. We picked up about 2 dozen coins & then raced to the car for our detectors. For that first day, we all found over 100 silver coins each. We decided to stay the night & detect at night, however, a cop ran us off the beach. The next day, Martin & Woody found over 125 silver coins each and I got just under 100. In two days of detecting at the oldest beach on the East Coast, we found over 600 silver coins, dated from the mid 1800s to 1964.
At the Friday night YTHers meeting, we told of our fun at Revere. The next day saw just about everyone at the meeting was at Revere and everyone was finding silver. Our finds got an interview on the radio & a picture of Streeter & handful of silver finds in the Boston Record American.
My 1991 total silver finds with a metal detector, ended up being 383. Of this number, 323 were silver coins. I was happy for the experience and thought, “only with a miracle, could I break this record”.
Because I now enjoy finding money & jewelry in the water at the beach, with my Minelab metal detector, I'll provide you with a story about my most gold finds in a year.
In the meantime, Happy Hunting, from the Carib Hunter.

jimmatt_43

Feb 2, 2007
Wow!!!!! You must have quite a collection.
This is my first year hunting and I found 8 silvers.I always thought it would be great to find 2 in one day,but to find100 is beyond my wildest dreams.I live in a small town in Wisconsin and hunt yards in my neighborhood.I bought an ace 250 in the spring that I hunt with.
Do you save all your finds?
Happy Hunting ,Jim

Ratman

Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the serious silver coin counts for a year . In your case it sounds like you were in the right place at the right time to get 100 silver coins in a day . That's awesome like what you read about in Magazines ... ;D

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Great post...guess you just never know when a great day is coming! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread