Mountain lion

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
My wife and I and I found this on our camera trap this morning. Interesting that the land owner passed through on the same trail 5 minutes after the lion, traveling the opposite direction which means they passed each other....Never expected a daytime picture so camera settings were set for darkness with flashes.
North Central Idaho
Camera Model Canon EOS Rebel T6i
Shooting Date/Time 5/16/2021 11:25:01 AM
Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/160
Av( Aperture Value ) 8.0
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Focal Length 14.0mm
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode Manual focusing

Attachments

• MLDEF2PNG.png
    MLDEF2PNG.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 70
  • MLDEFPNG-1.png
    MLDEFPNG-1.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 83

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That cat might have been heading for him until it saw the chainsaw. Cool pics!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That camera trap is awesome. Takes great shots on top of that. I guess you now know there's a mountain lion hanging around. I see big tracks in the snow down here in the populated area. Their pathways to follow around us all are the very narrow lines I suspect along the 100 year old irrigation ditched and small creeks that run out of the front range mountains. There's good coverage along those narrow strips, that traverse though these populated areas and I know mountain lions use them to stay out if sight and out of mind.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great shot of the Cougar. Probably it knew the landowner was about, and wanted nothing to do with him.
Did you share the pictures with him?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great pic! Not easy pinning one of those big cats down. We have had sightings (on game cameras) here in IL, about one per year I suppose. Plenty of deer here so I'm waiting for their population to explode. I've never seen one or even tracks. Gary

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pic! Not easy pinning one of those big cats down. We have had sightings (on game cameras) here in IL, about one per year I suppose. Plenty of deer here so I'm waiting for their population to explode. I've never seen one or even tracks. Gary

The mountain lion population is unlikely to explode even if large prey like deer are abundant. Long generation times and large home ranges are the biggest reasons. You tend to see more finely tuned predator-prey synchronies with animals with shorter generation times, high reproduction and small home ranges. Small mammals like lemmings, voles and mice really provide bounties for predators. And deer tend to found closer to humans, places that mountain lions (usually) avoid.

Great shot of that big cat.

Last edited:

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing ..that is such a big mountain lion ..I have to get a good camera for the yard..The camera we had would go off when the wind would move the branches..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions