🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stroudsburg,Pa

!Moutainbrook_Pool,_Stroudsburg,Pa_fs.jpg

R

robbuckalew

Hey Jeff,
Do you have any info on where this was located exactly? I cannot seem to find anything on it.

Thanks,
Rob

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no sorry Rob

Meybe a penn Pilot search will find it

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
Start here:

Shadowbrook Camp, Stroudsburg 3 Miles from Route No. 90
For boys 6 to 14 years. Located 3 miles from Stroudsburg, Pa. on Route No. 90, in the heart of the Pocono Mountains. This beautiful $30,000 swimming pool is one of the many wonderful recreational facilities of this camp for boys.

What the heck is Rt90???
See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Route_191 Rt191 replaced the name Rt90 in 1961

Now......Look here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...633,-75.201073&spn=0.003825,0.006866&t=h&z=17
Nearly exactly 3mi south of Stroudsburg on Rt191 (old Rt90)

BUT........that is speculation.
I believe that NOW it is THIS http://www.five-starbasketball.com/sixersfaq.asp Scroll down till you see Car Directions from Philadelphia:
"PHILADELPHIA.- Northeast Ext. of Pa. Turnpike (Route 476) to Exit 56 (Allentown). Follow route 22 East 15 miles to PA 33 (between Bethlehem & Easton). Get on PA 33 North and then FOLLOW ALL SIGNS TO STROUDSBURG (Route 33 North changes to Route 209 then Route 80). At Stroudsburg, get off at Exit 307 (Park Avenue & 191). Turn right off the exit & then right onto 191 South & continue for 2 1/2 miles. Entrance is on the right side of highway."
Weeellllll....that pretty much describes the Google Map location PERFECTLY....and there's definitely a few basketball courts there. Is it the same location? Who knows.

But there's more! The Postcard description calls it the ShadowBrook Camp. Look at pg7 of this .pdf (or just do a search for the word Shadow):
http://www.srosrc.org/Stroud Area Regional Open Space and Recreation Plan.pdf

So I called the Stroud Region Open Space and Recreation Commission (SROSRC) and the fella there was unsure. He directed me here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...682,-75.263761&spn=0.001913,0.003433&t=h&z=18
But I think that this location deviates from the stated directions too much. Additionally, the pool in this location is a 'shallow' trapezoid whereas the pool in the postcard has curves.
Oh - and the guy verified that the first Google Map location is indeed the 76'ers Baketball Camp.

I'll keep looking......

-

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Ha Ha Ha!!

But then....Look here!
http://www.cardcow.com/viewall/66708/

Scroll down in the left column.
That SAME pic repeats itself.
The first one's caption says it's a camp for teen boys. (click the photo & you can read the back of the card)
The second pic says it's a camp for teen girls.

Sheesh! And the parents were wondering why their teen kids wanted to go to camp soooo bad every summer! It was camp hankey-pankey!!!

So - based off THOSE misconstrued descriptions.......this photo may not even be a true representation of the camp.

Your thoughts???

-

R

robbuckalew

Here are picsof shadowbrook.

c163_1.jpg

rr658.jpg

Mountainbrook for girls Playground

rr663.jpg

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Biography
Full name: Percy Bartimus Crawford
Birth date: October 20, 1902, in Minnedosa, Manitoba, Canada
Death date: October 31, 1960
Family:
Parents: Thomas and Margaret Crawford
Siblings: Alphonse
Marital Status: Married to Ruth Marjorie (Duvall) Crawford, September 18, 1933 at Pinebrook Camp in Pennsylvania
Children: Donald Bruce (1937), Richard Torrey (1939), Dan (1941), Dean(1944), Donna Lee (1949)
Conversion: September 23, 1923, at the Church of the Open Door in Los Angeles during a sermon by Bill "Willie" Nicholson
Education:
1922-1923 Attended and graduated from a college preparatory program at the Oregon Institute of Technology, Portland, Oregon, which was run by the Young Men's Christian Association
1923-1926 Attended and graduated from BIOLA (Bible Institute of Los Angeles)
1926 Enrolled in the University of California, Southern Branch
1927 Transferred to Wheaton College, Illinois
1929 Graduated from Wheaton College
1929-1932 Westminster Seminary in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, B.TH. degree
1932 Received Masters degree in Hisotry from the University of Pennsylvania
Career:
Summer 1931 Began holding Saturday night evangelistic rallies at Barnes Memorial Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia, rallies which were one of the models for Youth for Christ
1931 Began radio broadcasting Young People's Church of the Air in Philadelphia on station WIP
1931-? Held youth rallies along the eastern coast of the United States
1933 Opened Pinebrook Bible Camp in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania. Later he also started Shadowbrook (for boys) and Mountainbrook (for girls) camps

R

robbuckalew

I talked to mikeinpa and he told me that he went there and the police showed up not long after he got there.
Doesn't sound good but I will see if I can find the property owner and get permission.

Mr. Mojo

Jan 9, 2007
Hummelstown, PA
Detector(s) used
Exp II
Re: 611 north of Stroudsburg.....

Working on bridge over Pocono creek. 611 crosses twice, after second time, heading north, take next right. Road will backtrack, must have been main road years ago. Shortly after leaving 611 you can see remains of old foundation on left, and a stone wall on the right that road sits upon. There creek is down there in the weeds, perhaps an old pond/dam. Further up the road 1/4 no more a house on left that was a main lodge, with other lodges out back, and a church on the right that was connected. All this less than 1/4 mile off 611. Did not have detector, just out walking off supper, and found this. Definite remains of summer vacation camp.

ejrrun

Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Locate the pool.

Hey Jeff,
Do you have any info on where this was located exactly? I cannot seem to find anything on it.

Thanks,
Rob

This pool is located just off PA 191 between downtown Stroudsburg and Analomink where the Pinebrook Conference Center is located. It was part of the Shadowbrook (boys) and Mountainbrook (girls) camps located there from around 1935 to 1962. I attended Shadowbrook camp from 1958 to 1961. The pool was quite modern for its time.

ejrrun

Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This pool is located just off PA 191 between downtown Stroudsburg and Analomink where the Pinebrook Conference Center is located. It was part of the Shadowbrook (boys) and Mountainbrook (girls) camps located there from around 1935 to 1962. I attended Shadowbrook camp from 1958 to 1961. The pool was quite modern for its time.

I also attended there from 1958 to 1961, in all three groups: Chicksaw, Cherokee, Catawba. Three whole summers, 1958-60, the two weeks in 1961. A great experience and life changing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions