Moved today to another town.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Hi guys. Been crazy getting stuff ready to move. And more than two thumbs up to the new owners renting this house to us. Could you believe, the absolute worst weather was forecast for our area. During the first half it was. 8c temps, rain the entire time the removalists crew came. They were great, backed the huge truck over the lawn, covered everything. Took 4 hrs.
We drove to the awesome goldrush town we were going to. The owners went nuts preparing the place. How good is that. We get here and rain went from utter torrential to ultra light.
Mad stress for the past weeks. I slept for just 3 hrs last night woken by huge downpoars.
Were in. Few things the new owners tried to get fixed up for us but Covid with workers held it back. We don't care a bit. We are in. How many owners are, sorry sorry sorry, it'll get done ask us for anything! I know their good friends and it will get done.
First night, not perfect but bliss. Old goldtown here, where we came from was hoons doing car burnouts all night long. We have not heard one single car driving past us. 🙂
The heater, its new, cold right now outside, 2c, we are as warm as toast! 😀
Place is awesome.
Different life style now for sure. But very happy. Old 1800s house done right up. 👍
Cheers guys.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's great news Chilli hearing that the move is over and done with.
Stressful when it's raining, it certainly makes it harder to keep things dry.
Good that you're comfy in the place.
Now get unpacked and go play in the backyard.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys. Been crazy getting stuff ready to move. And more than two thumbs up to the new owners renting this house to us. Could you believe, the absolute worst weather was forecast for our area. During the first half it was. 8c temps, rain the entire time the removalists crew came. They were great, backed the huge truck over the lawn, covered everything. Took 4 hrs.
We drove to the awesome goldrush town we were going to. The owners went nuts preparing the place. How good is that. We get here and rain went from utter torrential to ultra light.
Mad stress for the past weeks. I slept for just 3 hrs last night woken by huge downpoars.
Were in. Few things the new owners tried to get fixed up for us but Covid with workers held it back. We don't care a bit. We are in. How many owners are, sorry sorry sorry, it'll get done ask us for anything! I know their good friends and it will get done.
First night, not perfect but bliss. Old goldtown here, where we came from was hoons doing car burnouts all night long. We have not heard one single car driving past us. 🙂
The heater, its new, cold right now outside, 2c, we are as warm as toast! 😀
Place is awesome.
Different life style now for sure. But very happy. Old 1800s house done right up. 👍
Cheers guys.
Glad your moved in..sounds like a very nice peaceful location

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
That's great news Chilli hearing that the move is over and done with.
Stressful when it's raining, it certainly makes it harder to keep things dry.
Good that you're comfy in the place.
Now get unpacked and go play in the backyard.

As soon as your season permits. Plant some pepper plants.

Good for you Chilli. I real happy for you and commend your friend and new landlord for their kindness. Cherish this new beginning and pay it forward when you can.
Mike

Glad your moved in..sounds like a very nice peaceful location

Chilli I wish you the best of luck!!:headbang:
Thanks all of you. Been crazy hectic. Few teething problems with the old house being done up. Built in the late 1800s but the owners have done a great job. They said they wished they could have done more but knew we were desperate, there is near nothing in our region. They must have worked like mad to get it good enough for us to move in to.
But we appreciate it all.
Yep the garage in full of stuff and they are waiting on a shipping container which is hard to get right now in the bush, to transfer it all to at another property they have. Also waiting on a few more things to do which supply issues have held back. But they got it livable and we know they will do the rest when they can. I know two of their close friends very well and trust them all. We were homeless in winter if they didn't do this.
Where we are is lightyears different from the other town we were in.
There, there was hoons doing burnouts every night till 3am, drugos in each shop you went to.
Here, its zero noise at night. Bar 1 freight train that rolls through town not far from us really slow and I could not care less about. Old people over the road from us, an old Bee Keeper, next door to the right he owns, old miners cottage, with nobody there keeping it for one of his kids. Left all the way to the rail line is ours. Out back for acres is the owners where we can detect all we like.
Last night was crazy cold, minus 4. The split system went into defrost mode several times. Check it out. Frozen!
IMG_20220602_085417_704.jpg

Car was an ice block with ice crystals grown on the roof rack bars. You guys there in places get worse but where we are its extreme for this.
IMG_20220602_085524_136~2.jpg
IMG_20220602_085536_115.jpg
IMG_20220602_085511_955.jpg

Grass frozen.
IMG_20220602_085725_166~2.jpg

Looking out back. Those towels were frozen stiff 😆
IMG_20220602_085606_514~2.jpg

Towards the small country town we are now next to.
IMG_20220602_085539_970~2.jpg

Can see a couple of horses at the other property over the rail line laying down after the frost was gone and a small flock of parrots flying over them.
So quiet here its alien to us. 👍😀
IMG_20220602_132419_104~2.jpg

Very wet and the grass is high. Owner will mow it all down he said when we get a dry spell and said go for your life detecting it 👍😀
Big block out back too. Show some more tomorrow. 😀

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great to hear that things are going in the right path now for you.
Man that must feel some cold, at those temps you could very well get snow.
Get the grass cut and drop a coil down, and have a little fun.
Don't worry about the quiet, won't take long to get use too. :)

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Great to hear that things are going in the right path now for you.
Man that must feel some cold, at those temps you could very well get snow.
Get the grass cut and drop a coil down, and have a little fun.
Don't worry about the quiet, won't take long to get use too. :)
Thanks. Yes they did get some snow very low down not far from us, just 100 kilometres away. Am so looking forward to having a detect here on this and the rest of the owners property. Just went out back in the dark with my torch behind the sheds to see what had made a hide in some bushy plants we saw yesterday. Nothing there. But is obviously a shelter hide. Thinking maybe a wallaby. Roos live in mobs, several to a dozen or more. Wallabies, smaller, mostly are loners till they mate. So thinking one of them by the size of it.
Before we left the bigger town, 7 to 8 thousand people, several months ago it was ok there. But wow in the past few months the population has changed dramatically. The influx of dodgy looking people has risen. Today we drove there to get some last supplies, not going back for 6 weeks we reckon, got a good freezer to stock up, it blew us away. So glad we are now where we are.
Get this. We rent, had contents insurance. For the same $30,000 contents just as a buffer, was there $150 a yr. Now here, ultra low risk of robbery, crime or anything when I rang to change address they said "that'll be $700".
Im "um, excuse me cancel that".
"Why" she says?
Im figure it out yourself, im out.
Post some more pictures tomorrow. Loving it here. 👍
Cheers.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks. Yes they did get some snow very low down not far from us, just 100 kilometres away. Am so looking forward to having a detect here on this and the rest of the owners property. Just went out back in the dark with my torch behind the sheds to see what had made a hide in some bushy plants we saw yesterday. Nothing there. But is obviously a shelter hide. Thinking maybe a wallaby. Roos live in mobs, several to a dozen or more. Wallabies, smaller, mostly are loners till they mate. So thinking one of them by the size of it.
Before we left the bigger town, 7 to 8 thousand people, several months ago it was ok there. But wow in the past few months the population has changed dramatically. The influx of dodgy looking people has risen. Today we drove there to get some last supplies, not going back for 6 weeks we reckon, got a good freezer to stock up, it blew us away. So glad we are now where we are.
Get this. We rent, had contents insurance. For the same $30,000 contents just as a buffer, was there $150 a yr. Now here, ultra low risk of robbery, crime or anything when I rang to change address they said "that'll be $700".
Im "um, excuse me cancel that".
"Why" she says?
Im figure it out yourself, im out.
Post some more pictures tomorrow. Loving it here. 👍
Cheers.
That's crazy when it comes to insurance.
Live in a high populated area, crime as theft is all around, not a rare thing to hear of it occurring.
Cheap insurance
Go live in the rural and a fart is well heard-insurance is crazy high.
It's like they want a claim.
No understanding the logics of how they determine things.

We had to change insurance companies moving from the city. They wouldn't insure a new built home, a log home was in their mind a fire waiting to happen. To insure while building was $15,000.00 for the time building. It was over a $1000 a month.
Bugger that I just closed my eyes and made every person that worked on site have insurance, and a no smoking policy. Go out onto the road if you want to have a smoke.
It's hard sometimes for a urban to think rural lifestyle.
Know lots of folks that they don't ever lock anything up, cars, homes, sheds.
Never had an issue, with anything going missing either.

One old timer said to me once.
" When I had the business, and I worked corrections-I had more darned keys-lock this/lock that every time I turned around I had to lock it.
When I got my keys for this home-I walked across the road, and pitched them into the river-35 yrs ago.
I was tired of locking everything up in my life"

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
That's crazy when it comes to insurance.
Live in a high populated area, crime as theft is all around, not a rare thing to hear of it occurring.
Cheap insurance
Go live in the rural and a fart is well heard-insurance is crazy high.
It's like they want a claim.
No understanding the logics of how they determine things.

We had to change insurance companies moving from the city. They wouldn't insure a new built home, a log home was in their mind a fire waiting to happen. To insure while building was $15,000.00 for the time building. It was over a $1000 a month.
Bugger that I just closed my eyes and made every person that worked on site have insurance, and a no smoking policy. Go out onto the road if you want to have a smoke.
It's hard sometimes for a urban to think rural lifestyle.
Know lots of folks that they don't ever lock anything up, cars, homes, sheds.
Never had an issue, with anything going missing either.

One old timer said to me once.
" When I had the business, and I worked corrections-I had more darned keys-lock this/lock that every time I turned around I had to lock it.
When I got my keys for this home-I walked across the road, and pitched them into the river-35 yrs ago.
I was tired of locking everything up in my life"
Yeah im hearing that friend. We got a bunch of keys im still trying to figure out each time we go and come back. Seriously, what on earth is this high insurance all about. For crying out loud, they can look up on Google maps and see the last place we were at was on the very edge of the bigger town near the bush, higher fire risk from Aussie bushfires, just 100 to 200 meters away! Here is nowhere near gumtree bush areas. Yes we are in a smaller town, but the worst here for us here is hugely further away. They go up like petrol fires!
Here, 2 kilometers!
Its crap and they treat us like idiots.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah im hearing that friend. We got a bunch of keys im still trying to figure out each time we go and come back. Seriously, what on earth is this high insurance all about. For crying out loud, they can look up on Google maps and see the last place we were at was on the very edge of the bigger town near the bush, higher fire risk from Aussie bushfires, just 100 to 200 meters away! Here is nowhere near gumtree bush areas. Yes we are in a smaller town, but the worst here for us here is hugely further away. They go up like petrol fires!
Here, 2 kilometers!
Its crap and they treat us like idiots.
Fire hydrants were the issue. Didn't have them near the new home.

Ok folks out in the rural they have pumpers, the St Lawrence river is 35 ft away, and there's this little fact.

"It drains more than 25% of the Earth's freshwater reserves"
Lots of water, more than some underground pipe can supply.

Time to be talking to some other company that understands the lay of the land.

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Hey everyone. Sorry iv been a bit absent. Moving in has been hectic.
Been going back and forwards to the old town and here. Loving this small town. 1/10 the size. But for its size its well serviced. We have been getting to know those who have lived here for generations. Good for us I worked here yrs ago and they know those I knew.
Its amazing, went out the backyard before, dark, heard just frogs.
There are two freight trains a day. One 9 am and one 3am.
But they roll through town ultra slow. To be honest the mad Semi Truck drivers and Hoons were louder in the town we came from.
This is bliss! An old guy in the street came to say hi yesterday, an old Bee keeper who's family has lived here since the gokdrush days. In his late 80s and still going strong😀
Heres some other pics. Its still really cold and wet here so we are not going detecting right now. But don't care, all good.
We are grateful we got this place. 👍🙂
Train going slo mo past our place, they all do and are more quiet than the hoons from the other town. Love watching them to be honest.
IMG_20220606_123803_160~2.jpg

A closer up.
IMG_20220606_123831_630~2.jpg

Between that and the train is our block.
Below is looking from the back of our place we rent to the sheds and house. Was all gold diggings flattened out. We see rabbits and roos come there too.
IMG_20220604_113252_136~2.jpg

Looking from our place to the back.
IMG_20220603_135925_556~2.jpg

And right out back near the old sheds.
IMG_20220603_135901_925~2.jpg

Plenty of fruit trees here.
And a big old peppercorn tree.
IMG_20220603_140005_228~2.jpg

Cheers guys.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing, Chilli. If you do not mind. Could you share the name of the town you moved to? If you mentioned earlier I missed it.
I am happy you have got settled in and have peace.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone. Sorry iv been a bit absent. Moving in has been hectic.
Been going back and forwards to the old town and here. Loving this small town. 1/10 the size. But for its size its well serviced. We have been getting to know those who have lived here for generations. Good for us I worked here yrs ago and they know those I knew.
Its amazing, went out the backyard before, dark, heard just frogs.
There are two freight trains a day. One 9 am and one 3am.
But they roll through town ultra slow. To be honest the mad Semi Truck drivers and Hoons were louder in the town we came from.
This is bliss! An old guy in the street came to say hi yesterday, an old Bee keeper who's family has lived here since the gokdrush days. In his late 80s and still going strong😀
Heres some other pics. Its still really cold and wet here so we are not going detecting right now. But don't care, all good.
We are grateful we got this place. 👍🙂
Train going slo mo past our place, they all do and are more quiet than the hoons from the other town. Love watching them to be honest.
View attachment 2031117
A closer up.
View attachment 2031116
Between that and the train is our block.
Below is looking from the back of our place we rent to the sheds and house. Was all gold diggings flattened out. We see rabbits and roos come there too.
View attachment 2031118
Looking from our place to the back.
View attachment 2031120
And right out back near the old sheds.
View attachment 2031121
Plenty of fruit trees here.
And a big old peppercorn tree.
View attachment 2031122
Cheers guys.
Beautiful place you have and thanks again for the pictures..it’s amazing to think perhaps you have Roos like we have deer.
Best of Luck and take care
Cheers

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Beautiful place you have and thanks again for the pictures..it’s amazing to think perhaps you have Roos like we have deer.
Best of Luck and take care
Cheers
Thanks mate. Still sinking in where we are. Days ago was "ok that's it, no need to go to where we were (much bigger town, this is real small here)
we got all we need. But today did another drive there to get stuff.
We have a big fridge, got a good freezer for here and stocked up. But have not lived away this distance before so underestimated a bit. Today, we are good. No intention to go shopping anywhere for easy 6 weeks now👍
Was out the back just before just to chill out and enjoy it. Saw some bats fly around, was just on/after dusk, listened to frogs croak and that was it.
Perfect! Yep, lots of Roos here. Gotta be careful, they are solid units. I used to hunt them yrs ago and just carrying two legs is an effort. Good eating though👍 Mostly used to get them for my dogs. Hit one in a car and its serious damage. Just today we went to a nearby lake for a walk relax.
Was real lucky. Driving back all clear in front, just glimpsed in my rear view and saw a big buck male cut across the road just meters behind us. He came up from a road side drop off. If it was seconds difference id have had my front end written off. 😕
Was a 6 footer easy.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks mate. Still sinking in where we are. Days ago was "ok that's it, no need to go to where we were (much bigger town, this is real small here)
we got all we need. But today did another drive there to get stuff.
We have a big fridge, got a good freezer for here and stocked up. But have not lived away this distance before so underestimated a bit. Today, we are good. No intention to go shopping anywhere for easy 6 weeks now👍
Was out the back just before just to chill out and enjoy it. Saw some bats fly around, was just on/after dusk, listened to frogs croak and that was it.
Perfect! Yep, lots of Roos here. Gotta be careful, they are solid units. I used to hunt them yrs ago and just carrying two legs is an effort. Good eating though👍 Mostly used to get them for my dogs. Hit one in a car and its serious damage. Just today we went to a nearby lake for a walk relax.
Was real lucky. Driving back all clear in front, just glimpsed in my rear view and saw a big buck male cut across the road just meters behind us. He came up from a road side drop off. If it was seconds difference id have had my front end written off. 😕
Was a 6 footer easy.
Happy to hear that all is well and you avoided the accident.Best of Luck and Happiness
Cheers

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Happy to hear that all is well and you avoided the accident.Best of Luck and Happiness
Cheers
All good. Ever decide to venture this way you know you'll be welcome.
Just remember, you skin it, ill cook it 😀

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good. Ever decide to venture this way you know you'll be welcome.
Just remember, you skin it, ill cook it 😀
Thank You ..
I surly would love to visit..My daughter was there a few years ago on her way to New Zealand and had a great time.
I hope someday conditions will improve so I can make the 24 hour approx.flight.
I’ll have to also get one of those nice hats.
It still amazes me that Roos are plentiful like deer over here..Do they eat all the flowers and bushes like the deer do .
Good luck and happiness
Cheers..

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Thank You ..
I surly would love to visit..My daughter was there a few years ago on her way to New Zealand and had a great time.
I hope someday conditions will improve so I can make the 24 hour approx.flight.
I’ll have to also get one of those nice hats.
It still amazes me that Roos are plentiful like deer over here..Do they eat all the flowers and bushes like the deer do .
Good luck and happiness
Cheers..
Hi mate. Lived in the bush areas for a long time. Roos are everywhere. Even today when going to another town to get something I saw a few dozen here and there near the roadsides. This time of year its more common.
In central Vic it gets light around 7.30 am and dark 6pm. Mid winter now.
So it's low light 2 hrs each side of sunrise and sunset.
You gotta look out this time of yr. Our smash repairs make 50 plus % money this time of yr from roo hits.
Summer is best for us drivers. Light at 6 am dark at 9pm. Roughly thereabouts. I rarely drive at night here unless I absolutely have to.
Roos in our summer are much more nocturnal. Winter they can bounce out much more.
I used to hunt them for dog meat and to be honest I dont mind eating them. They are a little more tougher, not hugely, than say beef, they are a very lean meat, if I had to say or was pressed id say they are between venison, deer, and beef in texture. The taste leans more to venison, but has a smell all of its own not anything like either. I like it, my misses doesn't. She says "i like the taste but not the smell."
I love making my own jerky. When I used to make Roo jerky my old Staffy, now gone and buried, he would sit and wait till it was done and love it, so did I. Nice meat. Probably though the most gamey smell meat we have here. I think that puts some off. Made Roo pies a few times too! They were great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread