multi purpose Mds for prospecting

T

TREETOPPER

multi purpose Md's for prospecting

Please help me decide on a multi purpose Md that is very user friendly but can still find small pieces of gold without to much practice. This will be my first Md and would like to not have to upgrade any time soon. 600-700$ range.

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Re: multi purpose Md's for prospecting

There are only a handfull of multi purpose detectors out there for example MXT, X5,Terra X-70
The cheapest way is a used MXT on E-bay. The newest with good reviews is Minelabs X-70 but
with the prospecting coil $900 new. I would look at the X-70.

HH
George

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tesoro Super Traq Lobo is where my bucks would fly!!Tons a au 2 u 2-John

azgoldplacer

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2006

I agree about the xterra 70. It's a little above the price you mentioned but is quite a lot of bang for the buck on a multipurpose machine.

Willy

The LST is a decent detector.. just a bit antiquated re. features vs. price. I don't like the fact that the ground tracking can't be turned off. If you're hunting meteorites (especially stonies), you'd probably have to use the disc. mode.. with the resulting reduction in sensitivity. I'd go for the MXT or X70; both also have a "better" disc. mode with the X70 being the "best".. though the pinpoint mode on the X70 kinda sux. I'll be doing a bit of experimenting with the X70 to see if it can be improved; possibly reducing the prospecting mode sensitivity to 1, using it for PP'ing when coin/ring hunting, and maxxing out the disc. mode sens. for PP'ing whilst using the prospecting mode. ..Willy.

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

bakergeol said:
There are only a handfull of multi purpose detectors out there for example MXT, X5,Terra X-70
The cheapest way is a used MXT on E-bay. The newest with good reviews is Minelabs X-70 but
with the prospecting coil $900 new. I would look at the X-70.

HH
George

Just bought an X-70 from Chuck at www.treasurehut.org

Has a special promo going now=$749 for an X-70 with stock and 5x10 DD coil. Great price and great dealer ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions