What's new

Musket Ball?

martina

Greenie
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Found this @ New Smyrna Beach, Florida recently. Is it a musket ball? If yes, any idea of period? Husband says it's a rock. Dunno!
 

Attachments

  • 100_3922.webp
    100_3922.webp
    90.9 KB · Views: 252
  • 100_3923.webp
    100_3923.webp
    76.6 KB · Views: 251
What is it made of Lead,rock or what.If it is a made out of lead I would say canister shot.
To big for a rifle musket ball at one inch,if I am seeing the size right.

fortbball9
 
Upvote 0
Hand poured lead will have a sprue. Don't see one on the photos.

Daryl
 

Attachments

  • TN11.webp
    TN11.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 248
  • TN11.webp
    TN11.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 195
Upvote 0
How do I find out what the material is? Should I wash it? Scrape it? I'm 100% dumb.
 
Upvote 0
If you have access to a 10x loupe or other "high" magnification you should be able to see crystals if it is a rock. If your detector detected this, it is a "hot rock."

Daryl
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom