What's new

Musket ball?

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Interesting shape of musket ball. It is oval shaped. Each end has the same oval point. Does not look like it has been shot. Any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1736.webp
    IMG_1736.webp
    45.8 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_1737.webp
    IMG_1737.webp
    22.7 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_1738.webp
    IMG_1738.webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_1739.webp
    IMG_1739.webp
    23.4 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_1740.webp
    IMG_1740.webp
    25 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_1741.webp
    IMG_1741.webp
    23.6 KB · Views: 263
It looks like it's a fired round ball or possibly a lead ball from an artillery shell or ball.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
It looks like it's a fired round ball or possibly a lead ball from an artillery shell or ball.
If it were a fired round ball it should have a flat edge or still round. There are no flat edges. Could it be a piece of lead made for some kind of colonial game piece? Ive never seem a round ball with two coned ends. Musket bullets have a coned end, but would they have made them with two coned ends?
 
Upvote 0
seems a bit chewed up and out of round for a ball
maybe some slag?
is it lead?
Brady
 
Upvote 0
yes its lead.
 
Upvote 0
It looks like the one I have in one of my display cases, which is a .75 Canister Iron Ball. Does it attract a magnet? Breezie
 

Attachments

  • 75CanisterIronBall.webp
    75CanisterIronBall.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 601
Upvote 0
not attracted by magnet Breezie. Does yours have a flat end? Mine is in the shape of a football. No flat end on mine. :-\ Its the same size color and weight of the musket or round balls that I have found in the same area, but with two coned ends. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Garabaldi said:
not attracted by magnet Breezie. Does yours have a flat end? Mine is in the shape of a football. No flat end on mine. :-\ Its the same size color and weight of the musket or round balls that I have found in the same area, but with two coned ends. :dontknow:

Okay, so yours is not an iron ball. One side of mine is slightly flat. I think your is probably a round ball. Cool find! Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Breezie. :icon_thumleft: Happy holidays by the way and thanks for all your help this year. :notworthy:
 
Upvote 0
You're welcome, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Thank YOU for putting up such interesting finds. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
From the pics it looks like it's .69 caliber. I've seen roundballs fired and unfired in all kinds of odd shapes for different reasons. From the pics I would say it's a fired .69 ball. If you dug it in an area where there were cannon ball or shell fragments. I would say it more than likely was from one of them.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks vayank. :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom