What's new

Musketeer and the beach

Keppy

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2006
Messages
8,390
Reaction score
2,873
Golden Thread
0
Location
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Has any one used the Musketeer on wet sand on the beach and was it steady is it a good detector on the beach???
 
Good question, Jim. I'm considering taking mine on vacation to Mexico next spring. I hope someone can/will answer you.

Relic
 
Old Relic said:
Good question, Jim. I'm considering taking mine on vacation to Mexico next spring. I hope someone can/will answer you.

Relic
Old Relic.... You never see any one talk about the musketeer and it is as good or better than the Tesoro F4 or F5 Ace 250 ................ They are a sleeper detector no one knows how good they really are..I got one last year and just picked up another one...........
 
I still have my Musketeer after four years and I still take it out instead of using my other detector. Not blowin my own horn or anything, but I know what this machine can do and I beat out some people that use the high end detectors. The Musketeer is worth its weight in gold and I wouldn't get rid of it for the world.
You learn this machine and you can make great finds with it. I know this for a fact! JMHO.

Sniper
 
sniper19612003 said:
I still have my Musketeer after four years and I still take it out instead of using my other detector. Not blowin my own horn or anything, but I know what this machine can do and I beat out some people that use the high end detectors. The Musketeer is worth its weight in gold and I wouldn't get rid of it for the world.
You learn this machine and you can make great finds with it. I know this for a fact! JMHO.

Sniper
Sniper.... You got that right it is a amazing detector it will put those $900.00 to $1200.00 high end detectors to shame................................. ==Jim_K==
 
I just picked up a musketeer xs with the 8" DD coil from ebay, at what I thought was a steal at 162.50 plus shipping. I just received it today and did not have much time to mess around with it but, I did put a few dimes, pennies and pull tabs to see how the machines disc. mode does. I noticed the pulltab rejected out around 7-8. I was glad to see I could turn the disc. knob all the way up and it would not reject a clad dime!! I had a couple of Tesoro machines, which I thought alot of but, they would tune out a silver dime and that was a big NO NO in my book because, I am a coinshooter for the most part. I know the older Fishers like the 1225x and 1265x would not tune out a dime either. I must say this little musketeer xs looks to be well made and sturdy. Do you guys search your musketeer with the fixed position ground balance or do you adjust to your ground balance before you go swinging? Also what disc setting do you use when your coin shooting? I am going to have to fool around with this one a bit because it is the first analog minelab I have had. Any tips on ground balancing the musketeer? Thanks Tim
 
bigtim1973 said:
I just picked up a musketeer xs with the 8" DD coil from ebay, at what I thought was a steal at 162.50 plus shipping. I just received it today and did not have much time to mess around with it but, I did put a few dimes, pennies and pull tabs to see how the machines disc. mode does. I noticed the pulltab rejected out around 7-8. I was glad to see I could turn the disc. knob all the way up and it would not reject a clad dime!! I had a couple of Tesoro machines, which I thought alot of but, they would tune out a silver dime and that was a big NO NO in my book because, I am a coinshooter for the most part. I know the older Fishers like the 1225x and 1265x would not tune out a dime either. I must say this little musketeer xs looks to be well made and sturdy. Do you guys search your musketeer with the fixed position ground balance or do you adjust to your ground balance before you go swinging? Also what disc setting do you use when your coin shooting? I am going to have to fool around with this one a bit because it is the first analog minelab I have had. Any tips on ground balancing the musketeer? Thanks Tim
Tim.. ..................Yes the musketeer is a real sleeper no one wants a Minelab with a single freqency but they run better than the Tesoro's and any other vlf single feq. detectors.............. The musketeer ..XS..XS Pro.. Advantage & advantage pro .. all are the same have the same 3 knobs and 2 switches the only differnace is the color. I read the manual to all of them and they all read the same. The only diffrent musketeer is the Colt. ...... I run mine in fixed GB always but have GB it a couple of times just for fun for it is so easy to do I do it just like the manual says...i run it in fixed unless it gets unstable.. you can not GB in pinpoint mode you have to go into " ground adjust enable" position then you can GB it in all metal or disc. all you do is turn your ground adjust all the way clock wise and pump the detector up and down about 1 inch to 6 inches while turning the ground adjust controll knob counter clock wise untill the audio response is eliminated and that is it.................................But i always start out in fixed and have no reason to GB it...........Yours is nicer for you have numbers on your disc knob mine does not i put mine around 3 oclock that would be about 7 on yours ............I almost bid on that one you won but i got one last year and just got this one about 2 weeks ago so 2 is enought................. HH ==Jim_K==
 
OK, Here we go, Always ground balance your Musketeer, You'll get better depth with it. Also, I set my discrimination at about the one O-clock settting.
I have pulled coins out of the ground all the way to 10 and 11 inches with it. That's no B.S. Take your time on the swing. If you get a solid sound, swing the coil the oppisite way. If it still sounds solid, DIG IT! Keep the threshold up so you can at least hear it. The fainter, solid sounds can end up being deeper targets.
I do alot of coin and relic hunting with it and I can say one thing. Don't under estimate the Musketeer. I have found alot of coins and relics with it and Mike Of Pa and Goalrush will vouch for me in what I say. It's a great machine and you should be proud that you own one.

Sniper
 
Which coil(s) do you guys prefer? I have a 5" Excelerator and a TS 800 for mine and I'm considering adding a 15" WOT or 12.5" Excelerator. Given the depth of the 8", I question if the larger coil is worth th extra weight and expense.

Relic
 
Hey thanks alot for the tips on balancing. Yea, I always use headphones too. I had no idea that it was that easy to do (ground balance). I actually did it last night when I received it and was not certain. It really looks to be a great machine. I will probably look into some of the excellerator DD coils for it too. I have the xterra 50 also and have already found some nice finds and have taken it out only 3 times and have found old coins with it each time. I mention that because it is a single frequency minelab. I really like the 8"DD coil on this musketeer XS. I really like the how the control housing slides right off of the rod. I might just keep this one off behind the seat of the truck for those on the spot moments, since it is so easy to break down. Maybe this weekend I will try her out and give you guys an update. Thanks guys, Tim
 
Old Relic said:
Which coil(s) do you guys prefer? I have a 5" Excelerator and a TS 800 for mine and I'm considering adding a 15" WOT or 12.5" Excelerator. Given the depth of the 8", I question if the larger coil is worth th extra weight and expense.

Relic
If you are going to hunt fields i would get the 15 inch WOT... if not i would just stick with the 8 1nch.........
 
bigtim1973 said:
Hey thanks alot for the tips on balancing. Yea, I always use headphones too. I had no idea that it was that easy to do (ground balance). I actually did it last night when I received it and was not certain. It really looks to be a great machine. I will probably look into some of the excellerator DD coils for it too. I have the xterra 50 also and have already found some nice finds and have taken it out only 3 times and have found old coins with it each time. I mention that because it is a single frequency minelab. I really like the 8"DD coil on this musketeer XS. I really like the how the control housing slides right off of the rod. I might just keep this one off behind the seat of the truck for those on the spot moments, since it is so easy to break down. Maybe this weekend I will try her out and give you guys an update. Thanks guys, Tim
Tim , Like i told you i never seen a detector so easy to ground balance . And as deep as my sovereign Musketeer.
 
Yea it is very easy to balance Jim and thanks again!! You know, I looked into some of the excelerater coils that Kellyco offers today and noticed that, they only have a 5", 12.5" and a 14" coil. I was kind of hoping for a 10" .....But here is the catch.....The 12.5" was 179.99 and the 14" was 129.99.......The 10" from minelab was 199.99. I guess I might have to get that 14" for the money and hope it will do the trick. I am sure the stock 8" is good but I hunt alot in open fields. I guess the 14" just might do the trick.........what do you guys think?...................Tim
 
bigtim1973 said:
Yea it is very easy to balance Jim and thanks again!! You know, I looked into some of the excelerater coils that Kellyco offers today and noticed that, they only have a 5", 12.5" and a 14" coil. I was kind of hoping for a 10" .....But here is the catch.....The 12.5" was 179.99 and the 14" was 129.99.......The 10" from minelab was 199.99. I guess I might have to get that 14" for the money and hope it will do the trick. I am sure the stock 8" is good but I hunt alot in open fields. I guess the 14" just might do the trick.........what do you guys think?...................Tim
Tim... if you go into . www.tcmetaldetectors.com He has the Coiltek 15 inch WOT for the Musketeer and the mine lab coil is better than the others and the Coiltek WOT is as good as the minelab coil
 
Minelab does make the 10 inch DD coil for the Musketeer. Now don't forget, If you go with alot bigger coil, you take the chance of loosing depth.
I myself would go with the 10 inch DD if I would use any other coil. I use the 8 inch DD coil and it does take a little longer to cover ground. But then I'm the one who finds the good stuff because I can go deep. ;D JMHO.

Sniper
 
So the coiltek is better than the excelerater coils? I see they have a 15" for 199.99 for the musketeer. I am going to have to give it a little more thought. You know going out and being able to cover alot more ground is a good thing. I have never owned a coil that large before. I am just kind of thinking about the 10" DD from minelab for 199.99. I will give it some thought.
 
One more thing about these coiltek coils...What does WOT mean and is it different than the DD coils?
 
bigtim1973 said:
One more thing about these coiltek coils...What does WOT mean and is it different than the DD coils?
No it is not different it is a DD coil WOT from what i hear.. stands for... wild orange thing ... or some thing like that .
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom