Must have books?

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Hi All,

I'm starting a little shop, mostly prospecting, but I want to include some rockhounding books and supplies as well. I'm on a tight budget for product to start out with, so need to keep the selection pretty lean at first and I'm wondering what titles I should stock.

Are there 3 or 4 must have titles when just getting into the hobby? I know it depends on where you live, what you're after (fossils, geodes, gems, etc) and all that, but I mean generally speaking.

So far I was thinking the Audubon pocket and field guides, maybe something for younger readers and possibly some of the Gem Trails books. Are there other titles more appropriate to a beginning rockhound, or titles that would be great additions?

Thanks a ton!

Eathan

J

JDSCOIN

Hello Eathan,

A little shop like you describe probably does have to start out small and lean. I'd stick to books on local and centralized areas or regions which are relatively close to your shop. You may want to stick to books covering areas in or near your immediate area and work outward from there.

Have you thought of possibly writting/producing your own book? If you know of the subject and/or can research it well, maybe you can produce a book of some value to your customers and make some extra income from that as well. Your idea of 'gem trail' type books are good as many prospectors often find gems and minerals while they are prospecting - and some rather nice ones at that (I know, I've found them myself)!

I don't think that you mentioned what state you are in either in your post or in your profile. I, and/or others might better be able to help and make suggestions if we knew more about the region or state that you are in. Kindest regards,

JDSCOIN

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
E,

you may want to check out Smithsonian
Handbooks. One good one is "Rocks And
Minerals", by Chris Pellant.

have a good un............

Upvote 0
OP
OP
eathan

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Hey guys, many thanks for the replies.

I ended up placing my first order later that day, so just went by gut or ones I'm familiar with. I'm in Oregon, but will be selling online, so I couldn't really stay regional. Then again, I don't know enough about the East to really make an informed decision on books for those states, so I did tend towards states I knew a bit better on region specific books.

Small shop = small budget, so I didn't go crazy and can hopefully add more titles if things sell well. Here's where I started with books:

The Weekend Gold Miner
Recreational Gold Prospecting for Fun and Profit
Gold Prospector's Handbook
Where to Find Gold in California
Where to Find Gold in Oregon
Where to Find Arizona's Placer Gold
Yankee Placer Gold
Gold Nugget Teering in Nevada
Gold Nugget Teering in No California
Audubon Pocket Guide to Familiar Rocks and Minerals
Audubon Field Guide to North American Rocks and Minerals
California Gold & Gems Then & Now, Southern Edition (Map Set)
California Gold & Gems Then & Now, Northern Edition (Map Set)
Oregon Gold/Silver & Gems Then & Now (Map Set)
Arizona Gold & Gems Then & Now (Map Set)
DK Pocket Fossils
DK Pocket Dinosaurs
Gem Trails of Oregon
Gem Trails of Nevada
Gem Trails of Arizona
Gem Trails of New Mexico

Hopefully it's not a bad start. Have boxes upon boxes of equipment on the way as well. Now I just need to get that shopping cart working! :o

Upvote 0
OP
OP
eathan

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Thanks! I'm pretty excited. First product shipment is supposed to arrive today. :)

Still a lot of work to do, but it feels like it's getting closer.

I'll keep the D&K books in mind for when I expand the selection next order. Thanks again and you have a good 'un as well.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread