rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I wish it could of been pretty but it isnt. I looked it up and its called a Pebble or Cobble ax would of come from the Woodland period which fits for where I found it at today. The write up on it said the Woodland period didnt peck their axes and many times just found a rock that looked close to what they needed and then notched them. There is a faint groove that hopefully you can see its a rough material. As I was walking the private creek I saw the notches and picked it up and said to myself well I guess I will hang onto it till it dries and see what it looks like then. Didnt look any better unfortunately I found it in the same creek as I found my Celt last year. I have found a few points in the creek and many broken pieces and a little cord marked pottery a couple of pieces. Its not a deep creek most of it is ankle deep but has a spring that connects to it. I will post a pic and I am sure some will think rock on it. I found 2 of them but the other was even uglier if you can believe that. I left the other for the owner to have hope they dont pitch it :laughing7:

Attachments

• SDC12744.JPG
    SDC12744.JPG
    701.3 KB · Views: 189
  • SDC12742.JPG
    SDC12742.JPG
    948.1 KB · Views: 151
  • SDC12752.JPG
    SDC12752.JPG
    669.7 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 0

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jamus. Well, bola stones have been interpreted as weights for use in snaring fowl. They could be grooved, or not.
Net weights are presumed to have been used for fishing with nets, and nothing like the narrows at a fish run to catch a lot of fish in short order. If one does not simply presume what their usage was, notched weights is the term, but most collectors just call them net weights. You'd expect them to be quickly fashioned.

Here's a on weights that might have been used on birds:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolas

Thanks Charl I am always happy to learn something new!

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jamus. Well, bola stones have been interpreted as weights for use in snaring fowl. They could be grooved, or not.
Net weights are presumed to have been used for fishing with nets, and nothing like the narrows at a fish run to catch a lot of fish in short order. If one does not simply presume what their usage was, notched weights is the term, but most collectors just call them net weights. You'd expect them to be quickly fashioned.

Here's a on weights that might have been used on birds:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolas

You have a world of knowledge Charlie and enjoy reading when you post. I looked up in some of my artifact books last night and saw some examples of crude weights that looked close to the one I found. They were nothing but notched rocks just like the one I found. I did find 2 that day but the other was real ugly and I left it. 1 is good enough when they look like that. Thanks for the info.

bookummdano

Jan 17, 2010
alabama
I'm sorry I do not see a club or a green stone axe. I own a few creeks full of simular rocks you are more than welcome to fill your truck with if that being the case. All hardstone I have found, even if not complete and heavily weathered, are undenyingly tools. The net weight is even a hard sell. Although from one angle there appears to be a possible pecked ring, as one has stated the unlikely chance that a Native American would take the time to work a full half grove on a net weight is highly unlikely. Expecially when he could walk to the creek and pick up natural stones like this one and the other simular one you stated that was found nearby that would certainly suffice.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry I do not see a club or a green stone axe. I own a few creeks full of simular rocks you are more than welcome to fill your truck with if that being the case. All hardstone I have found, even if not complete and heavily weathered, are undenyingly tools. The net weight is even a hard sell. Although from one angle there appears to be a possible pecked ring, as one has stated the unlikely chance that a Native American would take the time to work a full half grove on a net weight is highly unlikely. Expecially when he could walk to the creek and pick up natural stones like this one and the other simular one you stated that was found nearby that would certainly suffice.

Id agree with you just so I can jump in your creek if you like. I bet I could find something in it even if you cant.

bookummdano

Jan 17, 2010
alabama
I have never been asked in that manner before, but you can look in my creek sometime and in the river, agreeing with me or not. I am blessed to own my own property and don't mind sharing. There is no doubt you can find all the geofacts I missed, even post them on the forum if you like. As for the artifacts, i am sure there are plenty of artifacts I haven't found. It never hurts my feelings if someone finds something I missed etc..... you can't find them all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never been asked in that manner before, but you can look in my creek sometime and in the river, agreeing with me or not. I am blessed to own my own property and don't mind sharing. There is no doubt you can find all the geofacts I missed, even post them on the forum if you like. As for the artifacts, i am sure there are plenty of artifacts I haven't found. It never hurts my feelings if someone finds something I missed etc..... you can't find them all.

And your rite it could be just a rock with a interesting look to it. I have found some ugly pieces in that creek that has been worked. The materials they had to choose from was slim to none I have to admit. All of the points I have found were quartz based stuff and only 1 flint which was on the road near a over hang and then the 1 Celt which would of been carried in by the material its made from. So Im not disagreeing with you either you could be right on it. But I might take you up on the creek hunt if you are close to me. I will send you a pm and find out how far it is. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread