What's new

My 1st Detector

gilgar

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
288
Reaction score
152
Golden Thread
0
Location
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Anyone else have one of these? Don't remember what happened to the detector itself, but found this today:

DSC07347.webp DSC07348.webp
 
That is one bad detector right there, Man if you could only find out were you put it at...LOL
 
It's probably hiding in the closet!
 
Yes, I use to own one of those... back in the 1970's .. lol
 
Yep, that was my first too. Got it as a birthday present if I recall. I believe 1978!
 
I wana give it a swing, looks fun to use.
 
I can't remember the name of my first one but it was small, gray and had only one or two knobs. I think it had a name like pioneer or something like that. My second one however was REAL step up for me. A Jetco Treasure Hawk. It had 4 knobs and a meter!! :D
 
Now that's Old Skool right there. Did it come with a pack of Sea Monkey's too? :tongue3:
-MM-
 

Attachments

  • sm.webp
    sm.webp
    51.9 KB · Views: 114
Got that exact detector back in the 70s and still have it.
 
Those were around in the 80s too. My brother had one.
 
Damn, your getting old aint ya!I bet you dug up some stuff with that thing thow.My first machine was a radio shack machine,called a treasure tracker or something like that in the mid 80's.One knob and everyEverything was wide open! found some stuff with that thing thow.I have to give it allot of credit for getting me into this awesome hobby!
 
Last edited:
I had one very similar around 1966. It was black plastic with a little needle meter. I think it was a BFO because it made a horrendous noise!

I made my first great find with it, but I didn't know it at the time and threw it away. I got a loud signal, and of course it had no discrimination, so it was a matter of digging everything that yelped. Down about eight inches was a chunk of iron, so I nearly filled the hole and left, but I saw it had a rimmed edge so I kept digging around the perimeter. It was rectangular and appeared to be heavy like a piece of old stove. I wiped the dirt off the iron plate and there, big as life, were the words "Wells Fargo" and whatever other words I don't recall. I was all excited because it looked like an old iron strongbox. I dug all around the edges so I could try to pull it from the ground. I gave a great heave and fell back on my butt. It was only the lid. I was so disappointed, I threw the thing as far as I could manage. Now I would LOVE to have that lid!
 
I got the same one as a Christmas present when I was 6, early 80's. I quickly got tired of digging nails and bottle caps. Took 25 years to get back into the hobby. Now that I think back I wish I would have stuck with it.
 
Man I guess, I must have been blessed but my first was a Whites no disc. dug tons of metal, dug everything, found lots of metal, by shear volume found nice finds with it, wish scrap was worth then what it is priced at now, would have made money! damn but that thing would go deep on silver thou! That was about 1970 or so. Its sick how fast the past goes by, too damn quick!!!
 
My brother had one of those in the early '80's! That is what first got me interested in metal detecting, but it took me 30 years to get my own. Lol
 
my first was blue box mustang I ordered from AAFES catalog while Dad was stationed in Germany eifel region.
 
I borrowed this little all-metal Radio Shack job from a family friend back in '73. Used it for a couple weeks. Didn't find any coins with it but caught the fever. The next year I bought a Jetco Huntmaster which I DID find coins with. That was followed soon after by the Garrett BFO "Discriminator." Still have that one.

Radioshackmd2.webp
 
I had one of those orange jobs as a kid, but my old man didn't want me to use it in the yard, "because of the holes"... the house was built in 1852, bummer. Now 30 years later I take great pride in DIGGING ALL THE HOLES I WANT IN *MY* YARD........take that Dad.
 
Hi gilgar; LOOOOOORD.!!! does that bring back the memories. I had one of those. I also started detecting using the Model made just before it. A BFO. good for 4" and drove everyone nuts.!! I loved it. :laughing7: True it was did not go deep and found every pulltab from here to Pluto. BUUUT!! back then it didn't matter. Half the coins back then WERE SILVER. !! We found Mercs, Buffs, Indians etc all the time. We always found silver rings as well. I was happy. Because of that detector I got in 1968 I have now spent 45 years of hard in the field detecting enjoying every minute of it. I have have come to find after all this that the greatest Treasure a man can find is Peace Of Mind. God knows I found mine. May you find yours too. PEACE:RONB
 
That was the first generation detector lol... I don't remember those, too young to remember hahah
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom