My $45 Gold Vac

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Although AZViper makes a nice gold vac, and I commend him on his helping others out by showing them how to build one, I just never could warm up to the idea of using a bucket with a motor on top of it… let alone paying $400 for one from the prospector supply stores. Just seemed way too unstable for my tastes. Sure I could fill the bucket with rocks or boulders to help keep it stabilized when out in the field, but then that would kinda defeat the whole purpose by lessening my volume. I want to fill my bucket up with as much gold bearing material as I can possibly vacuum up… not rocks or boulders!

So I got to thinking… what platform would offer me the stability of a shop vac, the suction of a shop vac, the already included hose and attachments of a shop vac, and the engineering of a shop vac? Hey…. how about using a shop vac! So off to the internet I go...

Echo PB2100 leaf blower with gunked up carb but good compression - $20 purchased off Craigslist
6 gallon shop vac with hose and attachments - $10 purchased off Craigslist
black nylon stockings for dust/fine gold filter - $5 from WalMart
weather stripping for lid gasket - $4 from Ace Hardware
5 inch PVC sleeve - $3 from Ace Hardware
misc. nuts and bolts - $3 from Ace Hardware
plywood for mounting motor to vac (already had) - $0

Time spent cleaning the motor and carb, using a Dremel tool to shape, drill, grind, and route all the plastic nubs and plywood so it would mount flush on the shop vac lid, and then assembling all the components to make a "factory" looking gold vac... priceless!
:headbang:

goldvac.jpg goldvac1.jpg

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the way you think :tongue3:
vac.jpg

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Although AZViper makes a nice gold vac, and I commend him on his helping others out by showing them how to build one, I just never could warm up to the idea of using a bucket with a motor on top of it… let alone paying $400 for one from the prospector supply stores. Just seemed way too unstable for my tastes. Sure I could fill the bucket with rocks or boulders to help keep it stabilized when out in the field, but then that would kinda defeat the whole purpose by lessening my volume. I want to fill my bucket up with as much gold bearing material as I can possibly vacuum up… not rocks or boulders!

So I got to thinking… what platform would offer me the stability of a shop vac, the suction of a shop vac, the already included hose and attachments of a shop vac, and the engineering of a shop vac? Hey…. how about using a shop vac! So off to the internet I go...

Echo PB2100 leaf blower with gunked up carb but good compression - $20 purchased off Craigslist
6 gallon shop vac with hose and attachments - $10 purchased off Craigslist
black nylon stockings for dust/fine gold filter - $5 from WalMart
weather stripping for lid gasket - $4 from Ace Hardware
5 inch PVC sleeve - $3 from Ace Hardware
misc. nuts and bolts - $3 from Ace Hardware
plywood for mounting motor to vac (already had) - $0

Time spent cleaning the motor and carb, using a Dremel tool to shape, drill, grind, and route all the plastic nubs and plywood so it would mount flush on the shop vac lid, and then assembling all the components to make a "factory" looking gold vac... priceless!
:headbang:

View attachment 998034 View attachment 998035

Hmmm, well thanks for the kind words. First I have never had any stability issues while in the field. As the vac begins to fill the weight is in the bottom of the bucket. Hey all the power to you on saving money although I believe you will find that the sock on the intake will clog and you will lose suction power. Also your vac does not have the power of a shop vac as the Echo motor is providing the suction so your limited to the CFM of that blower. The blower I use has the highest CFM for its size. Not sure what CFM that old Echo blower has. Personally I just like the vac to be a little more compact in size to haul on a pack frame.

Good job though. Hope it works out for you.

OP
OP
azblackbird

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hmmm, well thanks for the kind words. First I have never had any stability issues while in the field. As the vac begins to fill the weight is in the bottom of the bucket. Hey all the power to you on saving money although I believe you will find that the sock on the intake will clog and you will lose suction power. Also your vac does not have the power of a shop vac as the Echo motor is providing the suction so your limited to the CFM of that blower. The blower I use has the highest CFM for its size. Not sure what CFM that old Echo blower has. Personally I just like the vac to be a little more compact in size to haul on a pack frame.

No clogging whatsoever. The reason for the nylon sock/filter was to cut down on the dust and to capture any fine gold that may get blown out. Works perfect, although it does still blow dust, but nothing like the unfiltered bucket vacs I've seen. Motor has plenty of CFM/suction, in fact more than the vacuum had with the electric motor that I replaced it with. Reason being is I kept the impeller pressure/vortex space that most all shop vacs use to generate their suction. No stability issues either… I don't have to place it next to me, and then hold on to it to keep it from tipping over while I fill it up enough to keep it from tipping over if I drag the hose around to different locations. As far as size goes it's 6 gallons, so it's about the same size as most of the bucket vacs I've seen, although maybe not quite as tall. If I thought I was going to put it on a pack frame, I'd probably slide the legs off (like I do when I put it in the tote) so it would be just like a regular bucket vac. However I have a couple of these, so I don't foresee putting my gold vac on a pack frame any time soon and hiking it into a remote location. :wink:

redrokon.jpg greenrokon.jpg goldvactote.jpg

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where others fail with gas blowers that are sold is the design.You will never eliminate the dust. In my testing I had placed a sock over the blower exhaust and never found any gold and that was after peppering the dirt with gold. The key is forcing the pay dirt downward away from the suction of the rotating impeller. The sock will clog, been there done it. Think of an air filter over time it clogs. It's better to design the inside correctly and allow the air to move freely within the vac. Just my two cents...

Last edited:

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The blower that he is using is my all time favorite. I was really mad when they stopped making it. I use blowers daily on the roof, and that old grey one is powerful and light. The new Calif Carb ones I don't like. They work, but in my opinion, they like to stop working too easily.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is my thoughts of using the Echo PB-255 blower over all other blowers. First and foremost is the simplicity of mounting the the blower and sealing the the blower to the lid/bulkheads. No other blower that I have found makes this task so simple. Next is the low noise of the PB-255 over the others. I am also fond of the fuel consumption. Last but not least is its power. The PB-255 develops as a blower 190 MPH of wind while on the other side creating a great suction. As a blower its always sucking my untucked shirt up against the finger guard.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread.
So I'm going to guess that any of the battery powered shop vacs, just can't get the job done?
No one seems to talk about them.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Battery powered vacuums lack suction power and batteries do not last. Check out my thread on building a gas vacuum nor do they hold much paydirt. Viper-Vac

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Battery powered vacuums lack suction power and batteries do not last. Check out my thread on building a gas vacuum nor do they hold much paydirt. Viper-Vac
Very nice.
Very practical.
I like the cost too!
All your "build your own" stuff are A+.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice.
Very practical.
I like the cost too!
All your "build your own" stuff are A+.

Thanks... AzBlackBird has offered a nice alternate to the expense ($300.00) of my Viper-Vac to build. Buying used equipment can be frustrating though with these small engines. Save your money and stay away from the battery powered vac's, I know they have one advantage and that being quiet over the gas powered vac's but replacement batteries are over $100.00 and over time battery output goes downhill if your not using the batteries daily. If your on a budget find a good used blower on CL. Also Echo makes a PB-251 of which is the same as the PB-255 just a different year in which it was built.

gunlocators

Jun 6, 2014
Lubbock Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I built a bucket model last year with a backpack blower I never used. I may try to retrofit to a shop vac lower like yours nice job....

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sometimes you can find older shop vacs at yard sales that are made out of metal and have metal lids. Much stronger than the plastic ones sold today.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I built a bucket model last year with a backpack blower I never used. I may try to retrofit to a shop vac lower like yours nice job....

Why did you not use it. There is no issues using a bucket vac. I used mine last weekend for nearly 5 hours crevicing. Anything larger than the 6 gallon vac I build and it's going to get heavy draging it around on the bedrock. 5 gallons of dirt is 63 pounds.

Last edited:

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Fact: If you can't get there in a Rokon you can't get there at all. Excellent job!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 10 years without a Rokon I got tired of carrying my gold vac everywhere so I decided to put wheels on it.
Found the wheels and handle in a dumpster on a discarded lawnmower. Works great and doubles as a paydirt hauler as well.

Hauls 10 gallons of paydirt effortlessly.
I'm on my second leaf blower, this one is an Echo that I bought at a pawn shop for $30 runs my drywasher at just over idle but to vac I run it full blast and it has plenty of suction.

006.jpg chariot01.jpg

CLICK HERE to see more

GG~

Last edited:

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice
I'm glad to see that there are other dumpster divers on here I was starting to get nervous.
I may have to make me one on these.
Cheers Mike

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 10 years without a Rokon I got tired of carrying my gold vac everywhere so I decided to put wheels on it.
Found the wheels and handle in a dumpster on a discarded lawnmower. Works great and doubles as a paydirt hauler as well.

Hauls 10 gallons of paydirt effortlessly.
I'm on my second leaf blower, this one is an Echo that I bought at a pawn shop for $30 runs my drywasher at just over idle but to vac I run it full blast and it has plenty of suction.

View attachment 1781774 View attachment 1781777

CLICK HERE to see more

GG~

Great idea ...on the wheels ! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions