fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was invited to hunt a new site today that has given up some good finds in the last few days. My hunting buddy dug a nice flat button about five minutes after starting to hunt. I was finding odds and ends, mostly kitchen stuff, when I got a signal that should have been a pull tab. It rang up as a 24 on my DFX but since there hasn't been any modern stuff pulled I decided to dig it. I was pleasantly surprised to see an eagle button come to the surface but there was something about it that was different but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. The wings were pointing down!! After 45 years of metal detecting I had finally found my first Confederate button. It has a push in it and is worn but it is still the best looking button I have ever seen. I haven't determined which variety it is yet but am leaning towards CS41 in Albert's button book.
I know it is not the nicest specimen but as my hunting buddies tell me; I can quit my crying now!
Next up is a belt plate or some more CS buttons.

Attachments

• cs button dug.jpg
    cs button dug.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 262
  • cs button front 3.jpg
    cs button front 3.jpg
    649.8 KB · Views: 229
  • cs button back 2.jpg
    cs button back 2.jpg
    655.6 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 54
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button.

I've lost count of how many good finds have been a 24. I wouldn't dig numbers if I were you.

As long as I have been using my DFX buttons have always rang up in the mid 50s and pull tabs in the 20-low 30s. But, there is very little modern trash at this site so we have been digging every signal excluding iron. This place is littered with nals and other iron pieces.
I hope to go back later this week with my XP Deus that is supposed to be here today.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic find! Congrats! :occasion14:

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, congrats on the outstanding find:icon_thumleft:

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Eagle buttons are always the best buttons. We really did pick the best national bird.

sataro

Jan 16, 2013
Corsicana, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 | Nokta Simplex+ | Tesoro Mohave | Quest Xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that amazing button!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as I have been using my DFX buttons have always rang up in the mid 50s and pull tabs in the 20-low 30s. But, there is very little modern trash at this site so we have been digging every signal excluding iron. This place is littered with nals and other iron pieces.
I hope to go back later this week with my XP Deus that is supposed to be here today.
I would be clearing the bigger iron as well.:thumbsup:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty confident that it is CS-41A in Alberts button book.
CS-41 Army, Officer, eagle device on a plain field; 2-piece with border.
A. With 11 five pointed stars encircling, eagle with three arrows in right talon and laurel wreath in left. Blank (no backmark); 22mm.

It is possible that this button belonged to the owner of the home. He was a colonel in the CSA.

I don't even see the "push" ; a beautiful button indeed.

A 'great dug condition ' Confederate Staff as your first CSA button. I'd still be in Shock.

Well I been hunting off & on for 20 ish years & if it takes me another 20 + years to dig a" Confetrit "( as devildog ) would say Staff or State Button Ill be angry & Happy.

I love to see GA Finds esp, SW GA. RARE Down thata way.
BANNER.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm to lazy to look for my button Book , sooo Is it a Cuff Size?

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
She a looker
Huge congrats

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding find my friend and glad you dug a confederate button finally! I'm the last of our group that is still yet to find a confederate button, so maybe the next hunt Huh? That drooped wing isn't something you see around these parts! Congrats times a gazillion! Banner vote coming your way!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fannnnntassssstic!!!!!!!!!!
That one gorgeous button. You better find a place of honor for it in your trophy case. Congrats!

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fannnnntassssstic!!!!!!!!!!
That one gorgeous button. You better find a place of honor for it in your trophy case. Congrats!

It's the first piece to come from a new site but, I hope to add some more keepers to the frame in the next few weeks.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Confederate button! Anything CS is so tough to find. I hope you get that buckle soon!

KenG

Mar 16, 2018
East TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass II, Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great find. Thanks for sharing the pic. I hope you are able to return to the site.

Ken

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread