My at pro chatters from vibrations

TampaTroy

Feb 3, 2014
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When my coil hits a small ridge of sand It chatters a little. And today I noticed while I was vigorously shaking the scoop in my left hand the detector in my right hand was sounding off just a little from the vibrations. I thought it might be the coil cable rattling but when I shook the cable by hand I got nothing. Is there a way to prevent this?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope. Keep it slightly above the sand, banging the ridges will make it chatter in salt. When your shaking the giant scoop it is probably picking it up. You can pick up the scoop from 2-3 feet away sometimes. When in salt with the AT you have to adapt a bit.

OP
OP
T

TampaTroy

Feb 3, 2014
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, I'm glad to hear its normal. I was concerned that it might be something coming loose in the control box.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Reduce the sensitivity a notch or two. You'll still pick up nearly everything you'll want to find. Maybe not earring backs, but they'll slip through your scoop anyway. That salt water does play havoc on most VLF detectors.

Another thing I do is drag the scoop behind me with my free hand. Anything big and metal that gets near the detector could cause a signal, so drag it along.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a sensitivity issue to me. I usually run mine at 2 notches below max sensitivity under normal conditions, but it varies depending on the ground. Too much will cause a false signal when shaking. Have you taped or secured the cable to the shaft with at least 6" of space before twisting the cable around the shaft?

OP
OP
T

TampaTroy

Feb 3, 2014
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a sensitivity issue to me. I usually run mine at 2 notches below max sensitivity under normal conditions, but it varies depending on the ground. Too much will cause a false signal when shaking. Have you taped or secured the cable to the shaft with at least 6" of space before twisting the cable around the shaft?

No, I havent. I just have it twisted.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I havent. I just have it twisted.

They say that securing at least 6" will help reduce falsing with vibration, so I just used a velcro tie to do it. I have used electrical tape as well and it was fine:

photo.JPG

OP
OP
T

TampaTroy

Feb 3, 2014
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Im going to try that for this weekend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread