Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man! That's a cool one!

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cobbs has a Beveled edge as you can see the edge is not beveled. Any other guesses?

I have only one reference and that is what everybody else likely has…that being Overstreet, but what about Tennessee River as the type Rock? In the description it says that if it is beveled it would be a Cobbs… and you said yours isn't… so what do you say?...It also might just be an awesome knife that doesn't fit a named category…so you get to name it!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oblique transverse flaking? Killer find Rock! It just needed edge work to be a Cobbs... but a Cobbs with edge work is an unfinished piece to begin with sooo, I have no idea what it might be. My guess is the answer is in the flaking. Congratulations on what ever it may be, it is a beautiful piece.
As Americus said hope you have the best season ever. You have seen many a mile for this one!
Happy Hunting,
TnMtns

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking knife! Congratulations!

Steve

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only one reference and that is what everybody else likely has…that being Overstreet, but what about Tennessee River as the type Rock? In the description it says that if it is beveled it would be a Cobbs… and you said yours isn't… so what do you say?...It also might just be an awesome knife that doesn't fit a named category…so you get to name it!

That's a very good guess sir.

Attachments

• SDC10013.JPG
    SDC10013.JPG
    735.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find, Rock. Congratulations.

CapitalT

Sep 16, 2014
Travis County Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... It kinda looks like this fireball fella on ... or in some pieces found here.. like a cartoon head .. trailing flames.. meteorite man or something... I dunno .. but Thats GREAT! ROCKON!

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's wonderful knife you got there Rock! Congrats on a long-deserved kick-a$$ piece :icon_thumright: Paleo baby!! Yakker

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very good guess sir. Now is where you have to look at the other option due to the flaking. Oblique Transverse flaking like on your point in your 2 best you posted. That is flaking that goes straight across from side to side that is a Paleo flaking this is a Stanfield.
I have got to do some research on these flaking terms…it definitely looks different than most pieces…I went and looked in Overstreet so I could gain better understanding and it said Stanfields were flaked to the center? Is this what you meant by Oblique Transverse? I thought that meant that there was a ridge down the center with flaking going off in two directions…kind of like the continental divide!…I have lots still to learn…either way…the blade is sweet!

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its tough to id them eastTNjoe,in TN. especially. stillwell,kirk,lost lake,some all look the same so i just call them points.it is a good one for rock to study and happy for him,although i bet he will want to hunt alot more now.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone I am happy to of finally found something really nice.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock that is a real nice blade, knife blades are hard to ID sometimes I'm thinking Tennesse River blade or a Lerma, but I don't think it's a Cobbs.:icon_scratch:

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Rock,

That is a one in a lifetime find! Congrats for always keeping your eyes open. It can be rewarding!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn Rock,I must have missed this post,Killer find!Congratulations man

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have got to do some research on these flaking terms…it definitely looks different than most pieces…I went and looked in Overstreet so I could gain better understanding and it said Stanfields were flaked to the center? Is this what you meant by Oblique Transverse? I thought that meant that there was a ridge down the center with flaking going off in two directions…kind of like the continental divide!…I have lots still to learn…either way…the blade is sweet!

After I had posted Joe it seemed to me one side of the blade had one type of flaking and the other another!:dontknow: Still a interesting one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread