What's new

My biggest pestle

CreekSide

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2023
Messages
5,839
Reaction score
27,019
Golden Thread
0
This one weighs around 20 lbs. probably used to crush nuts and bones due to the pitting on the bottom. If used as a grinder it would be smooth like the sides. I’d have to use both hands to make this work. I found it about 5 years ago in an early woodland setting in a creek where I also found one of my Celts and many other artifacts. Last pic shows the base
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5756.webp
    IMG_5756.webp
    517 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_5757.webp
    IMG_5757.webp
    481 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_5758.webp
    IMG_5758.webp
    559.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_5759.webp
    IMG_5759.webp
    527.5 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 0
Thats a large pestle all right. I can't tell if the bottom has a dimple. Is there a dimple? The pitting on the bottom, are the pitts deep?

I have found a number around my area, most are "hoof" style but a bell style is also found occasionally.
 
Thats a large pestle all right. I can't tell if the bottom has a dimple. Is there a dimple? The pitting on the bottom, are the pitts deep?

I have found a number around my area, most are "hoof" style but a bell style is also found occasionally.
No dimples just showing pounding divots the sides are smooth so it’s possible it was used to pound then grind with the sides
 
great example of a fairly unmodified rock, picked up, fiddled with and utilized.
 
I don't study them real close just for pitting on one end or the other. When I have a chance, I wash and have a better look.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom