What's new

My English adventure

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2015
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
3,209
Golden Thread
1
Location
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently returned from a two-week excursion across the big pond; my wife is British & we were visiting the in-laws so you know I had to bring the detector.

We stayed on the grounds of a large estate that includes a hall built in 1612 and a still active Anglican church constructed in the early part of the 14th century. I received permission to detect the grounds of the estate including a grassy area next to the church.


ForumRunner_20150731_170504.webp



ForumRunner_20150731_170643.webp

While I didn't find anything old by UK standards I did find coins dating back to the late 17th century, WWII relics and a lot of other interesting finds. By far my best find was Dent 18 carat gold pocketwatch from the late 1800's or early 1900's. A monogram on the back of the case tied it to the owners' family so I gave it to them; see the "Honerable Mention" forum for the full story:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/h...cketwatch-family-reunion-100-years-later.html


ForumRunner_20150731_171312.webp



ForumRunner_20150731_171331.webp



2015-07-15_00.40.48.webp

I found a lot of coins with the oldest being a barely discernible William and Mary Irish halfpenny.


2015-07-29_10.29.34.webp



2015-07-28_19.21.59.webp



2015-07-28_19.17.49.webp



2015-07-29_10.05.54.webp



2015-07-28_22.32.41.webp



2015-07-28_22.34.36.webp



2015-07-28_22.24.01.webp



2015-07-28_22.25.30.webp



2015-07-31_16.00.04.webp



2015-07-30_09.22.49.webp



2015-07-30_09.24.01.webp

During WWII there was a RAF base about a mile from the hall & the RAF officers' quarters were in the hall. On the grounds I found two 50caliber casings and a third that was unfired; the unfired one is a tracer round. These were from the machine guns of fighter planes and were actually made in St. Louis and Lake City Missouri.

Here are my other finds:
 

Attachments

  • 2015-07-31_16.26.11.webp
    2015-07-31_16.26.11.webp
    31.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 2015-07-31_16.35.09.webp
    2015-07-31_16.35.09.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 2015-07-31_16.45.14.webp
    2015-07-31_16.45.14.webp
    43.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 2015-07-29_10.53.20.webp
    2015-07-29_10.53.20.webp
    56.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 2015-07-31_16.49.38.webp
    2015-07-31_16.49.38.webp
    43.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 2015-07-31_16.17.51.webp
    2015-07-31_16.17.51.webp
    11.2 KB · Views: 304
  • 2015-07-31_16.19.44.webp
    2015-07-31_16.19.44.webp
    14.7 KB · Views: 298
  • 2015-07-29_10.07.27.webp
    2015-07-29_10.07.27.webp
    39.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 2015-07-28_19.31.09.webp
    2015-07-28_19.31.09.webp
    45.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 2015-07-28_19.27.48.webp
    2015-07-28_19.27.48.webp
    49.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 2015-07-31_16.21.31.webp
    2015-07-31_16.21.31.webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 2015-07-28_19.37.18.webp
    2015-07-28_19.37.18.webp
    15.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 2015-07-29_09.57.32.webp
    2015-07-29_09.57.32.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 2015-07-31_15.56.44.webp
    2015-07-31_15.56.44.webp
    33.3 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Upvote 28
Take me and I'll give you the pick of my CTX-3030 or eTrac :hello2::laughing7:. I used my Explorer SE Pro over there which goes just as deep, but it's the one I'm used to and feel most comfortable with. I had to walk through the small town we were in to get to the farmer's property who gave me permission, so it was always a treat coming back home with goodies and stopping at the small country pub when I wasn't too dirty after a long day of hard digging :occasion14:
 
Thanks for the info; the picture got turned sideways somehow. Weren't livery buttons worn by servants of prominent families?

Yes, like coachmen etc...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom