What's new

My Excal is acting up once it under water

HARRASS

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2011
Messages
84
Reaction score
20
Golden Thread
0
Location
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
Ihave 2 excals. One is from the first generation which is over 15 years old. Itworks great. The second one is a newer model. The newer one is the problem. Ondry land it works great. As soon as I put it in the water it starts to gowonky. Before I had it rebuilt by the Minelabgroup in Las Vegas I would get a steady hum until I pass over a target. Now assoon as I move it the sound changes. In 3 feet of water it is impossible tofind targets. Every time I move it the sound changes. I have to shut it downand I only get a sound when I pass over a target. I know I am missing verysmall and deep targets. Does anyone have the same trouble and is there a simplesolution to this problem?
 
Upvote 0
Why did you start another thread, we are answering your questions on your original post...
 
Could be the coil cable breaking down or a crack in it.
 
you have to troubleshoot this!
coil in water.........good or bad?
coil and cable in water.........good or bad?
water hitting battery pod only.......good or bad? etc:
 
It appears as thou you have used one long enough to know .... it aint right. Unless you are trying to do the repair yourself..... get it in the shop and get it back.

Dew
 
This only happened after I got it back from the shop... with a bill of over $600.00. They replaced about everything. At first I thought it was salt water and strong waves. Had it out in calm lake waters and it did the same thing. If it was a crack in the coil wouldn't it take time to seep in and affect the signal? I started in a foot of water and I could tell there was a problem. Once I got to 3 feet I had to turn it off and go without it. The sound changed with every movement. I found a few items but I know I am missing smaller and deeper targets.
 
Sorry about that... I thought my query had gone off into outer space. I couldn't find it so I posted anthor.
 
Okay no problem.... water pressure is the answer, deeper you go the more pressure and once its in there it stays too. You need to get it fixed.
 
Please explain... when you say water pressure is the answer, are you talking about the coil?I had not used this unit since last fall. If it is, Ring Daddy, A.K.A. Jim Brouwer, suggested I spray bed liner on the coil to prevent water getting into it. He tosses the coil covers as soon as he gets a new machine.

I would spray it with plastidip, it is what i use when I do custom work on my cables.... The best part about it is it can be removed if you need to...bed liner can never be removed, and ML will not repair one that has bed liner on it...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a crack you have got water in the coil, it will eventually stop working....I had a cracked one, i fixed it after finding the crack, but it stopped working about 6 months later, once you get water inside it will rust, if it has been in the salt it will rust even quicker.
 
Last edited:
harrass, where are you located? someone might be able to help in person. what are your sens settings?
 
I'm located near Cornwall Ontario, across the border from Massena NY. Moderator thinks I have a crack in my coil... this is a possiblity. You say it may just need an adjustment. I have relegated this unit to the bottom of the list. I picked up a tiger shark... not to sure if I will like it. I am really am use to the excal and how it can weeds out trash from treasures. When I got it back after it was repared I was working Myrtle Beach and it was going wonky. Someone suggested it was interference from some of the hotels so I lowered all my adjustments to the point of almost being usless. Now that I have had a chance to try it in an area, way back in the bush, it does the same thing. If it is the coil, which has just been replaced, I can see another major expense.
 
The reason I say crack in the coil is you say the deeper in the water you go the worse it is, with water the deeper you go the more water pressure there is . Check the seam of the coil, the coil is two pieces sealed together in the middle, look for a place where the coil is cracking or seperating. Check the coil wire an inch at a time and look for a bad spot, cables do deteriorate, especially under certain conditions...
 
Excellent advice guys... really appreciated. I will check for leaks and try this plastidip.
 
if you find a crack or seam splitting and the coil is bad you will need to send it back to minelab or buy a aftermarket coil and put it on yourself or have obn or davespen put it on for you. as marty has said, once water gets in the coil it is ruined.
 
Could you give me more info on obn or davespen please. I asked the people at Radioworld in Toronto if they repaired this unit because they sell the excal. It is the only one they can't due to the seals and having to pressurize it. The nightmare is the border and customs. One can expect to pay up to double what the unit is worth. Is there a place in Canada that repairs excals? And also, is it possible to cut the existing coil wire and rewire it and silicon so it will be waterproof? I have several Minelab coils from other units. One is 16 1/2". Nothing ventutred... nothing gained.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom