my excal mod for scuba

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dive in a river with a good current.Even with the short shaft it wasn't comfortable. Putting the controls and battery on my bc is nice.My hands are pretty much on the coil.I have to use a boat anchor and rope to stay in place its pretty difficult.I am new with the excal I have a lot to figure out.My biggest issue is the tones I cant tell much of a difference.Anyway its very cool being at the bottom of the river detecting.I got the parts from a broken whites.Happy hunting all.:hello:

Attachments

• excal dive).JPG
    excal dive).JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 116
  • excalmod.JPG
    excalmod.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Use the bottom dial and put it on disc. You will null on iron. The sounds can be all over the place, you have to dig all non ferrous sounds. Try to keep the coil away from you out in front, the body of the metal detector thr tank regulator any metal will both set it off and lower the senotivity. Use as high a disc as possible, also same with sens.

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
River Hound, I have not been doing this as long as most on the forum and really just started to get into diving last year. The setup looks like you put some thought into it, do you have an elbow cup or something to rest your elbow in? Just wondering. Stevemc has been at this a whole lot longer than me and has offered some great advice. Never give up, just keep learning the machine, the tones are what I like about my Excal II. Look forward to hearing how this system works out for you. Best of luck.

OP
OP
R

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainelypulltabs I thought of naming my self something like that.I do have a elbow piece for it but i am not going to use it.I end up holding the shaft just above the coil some times on the coil.I like having the controls hanging on a d ring.honestly not much thought in it.Woke up this morning and everything just fit together

OP
OP
R

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use the bottom dial and put it on disc. You will null on iron. The sounds can be all over the place, you have to dig all non ferrous sounds. Try to keep the coil away from you out in front, the body of the metal detector thr tank regulator any metal will both set it off and lower the senotivity. Use as high a disc as possible, also same with sens.

Steve thank you I do hunt in disc set low though and sens 5 or 7 on land and 4 or 5 under water.I put a gold ring, quarter, pull tab all non ferrous stuff sounds similar. i guess in time. HH

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job on the short shaft. I was wondering the same on the cuff, but what you said makes since also, grabbing the rod to control it. I've been thinking about getting a hooka setup for the boat, it would open up more of the deeper areas, something down the road. Be safe on that river hunting, I have a friend that hunts shallow rivers and drags a small fiberglass boat to carry supplies. Also check out Aquachigger videos on river hunting...
Aquachigger - YouTube
and a few excalibur hunt video's with audio on my channel, they start about the 42nd video in...
Joe Beechnut - YouTube
Good Luck and keep us posted on your hunts....

JAD

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2012
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Excalibur II
Whites Dual Field PI
Garrett Pro Pointer x3
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice setup! I dive with an Excaliber II and Dual Field PI as well. Don't worry about the tones under water, pretty much impossible to differentiate them, at least with the stock headphones. I dig it all under water and have pretty good results.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pictures!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread