Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you live, you try, you learn --- how else but by trying & effort do we learn? keep it up

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Actually, for a first attempt I would say well done! Get a good thick piece of leather, a long deer antler tine and keep flaking, you'll get the hang of it!

OP
OP
Christ_in_you

Christ_in_you

Sep 14, 2007
Thanks guys it is really fun. I think maybe its like whittling for those who like to work with rock. Thanks Ray

razor

Apr 29, 2007
Ray, anyone who would spend the time to make something like that for his wife deserves an A. I'm thinking about getting into flint knapping. I'm an avid bow hunter. I'm thinking about picking it up an notch (no punn intended) and making a traditional bow and maybe making the points for the arrows. Even if I never hunt with it,I'm a little concerned about making a quick kill, I think it would be fun just to shoot. And to avoid the invetable argument: While I do have one mount, I do not "trophy" hunt; I hunt for the meat and the experiance. Razor

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Hey Razor, I did that- made an arrow and arrowhead and got a dear with it- I used an old recurve bow though :P If you start knapping put some posts up on here. It's a great hobby, I have some of mine posted on here somewhere lost in the pages.

OP
OP
Christ_in_you

Christ_in_you

Sep 14, 2007
Razor, I don't know where you live , but here we have a bow hunting shop that does nothing but traditional. The bow and arrows. They also have flint tips and leather arrow carriers. You might check around. I found it very interesting. I would also ask you if you have used deer co-caine. The deer wont stay off it. Ray

razor

Apr 29, 2007
Hey Ray, I live just east of Dallas. We've got a few shops around here, but I've not seen anything purely traditional. I've picked up some deer co-caine but it doesn't look like I will be able to get out this year. I'm a full time nontraditional college student and I just got out of the hospital last week. I uh... tripped over a stump grubbing in one of the few lakes that we can still legally hunt points in Texas. As a result I'm so far behind at school its not funny. My wife is a little leery about me getting back out... but I'm planning on trying to hit a creek in about three weeks ;D
Cannonman, that's cool! I've got a decent PSC compound, but I learned with a recurve. Like I said, I think I'm going to make a couple of bows in December out of different types of wood and see what happens. I'll keep you posted, Razor.

OP
OP
Christ_in_you

Christ_in_you

Sep 14, 2007
I hope you get to feeling better soon. Its getting hard to find places to hunt in Arkansas too. They just passed a tough law July this year. Good luck Ray

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I was bored so I thought it would be fun to post this here for you to see.. piece of slag from a gold mine in Canada that I knapped while out in the wilderness... had some impurities and air bubbles in the material... I flaked this one and as I was finishing up on it realized that the bubble spot was now a hole that went all the way through...and it was close to the edge. Hey, cut me some slack, I said I was bored! ;D

OP
OP
Christ_in_you

Christ_in_you

Sep 14, 2007
That is sweet! The hole makes it even better. I cant believe it did not break at the hole. Ill look at pictures like that all day. Thanks Ray

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Knapping there Cannon Man--I too Knapp. I work during the summer and have a lot of down time between launching and recovery. So while the bird is out dropping water I knapp. Started getting to where I had to feel the crunch of the flake rolling off or I would go into withdrawals.

It is an Art

Stryker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread