My first Barber...finally...yay!

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi! Finally getting out there after the winter and fought my way through some dense woods...Found some square nails...and then a loud, clear signal..

My first Barber (except for one on a seeded hunt a couple if weeks ago LOL...which, BTW had over 200 detectorists...and someone lost their keys...not to be found that day LOL)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1556137192.496990.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1556137204.397620.jpg
Sweet shape!

Also found...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1556137229.151533.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1556137241.485142.jpg
draught horseshoe
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1556137268.271792.jpg

Happy hunting!

Upvote 39
PCGS its about 35 dollars if its a key date and worth doing. Coins that are dug will be noted as ED enviornmentally damaged by coin graders. Silver is a little different here in MI it comes out of the ground looking like the day it was dropped. I will send some of mine in if its in great condition or a good key date to each his own though.

Thanks so much for the detailed information. It definitely was in dirt and maybe I shouldn’t have cleaned it, but I did use my silver jewelry polishing cloth to add to the brilliance. I had used dish soap and a toothbrush but it seemed a bit scratchy so tried a light rub of the cloth. Thanks again A2!

For your first Barber...it doesn't get much better than that! Congrats!!!

Thanks Silvermonkey! Hey..looks like we are “neighbors”...I am in northern RI.

Congrats on your first Barber! It's in great condition too. I remember my first Barber dime, it was worn so flat that I could barely read the date. It was 1892, first year Barber...almost seated. Nice bunch of finds Sir.

Funny how we can remember such details but can’t remember what we (I) did a week ago. LOL 1892...cool! Thanks.

The red coin book is a great resource for coins and prices and rarity make sure you look up your coin before cleaning that way cause if it is a rare date or coin you can destroy the value. Have fun and trust me you will find lots more silver and some gold also Happy Hunting Tommy

The 2020 Red book for a 1905 Barber dime, no mint mark: Qty minted for the year 14,551,623. Value in VF20 condition is listed at $10. I'm not a coin grader, but if I was... I'd be rich!

The red coin book is a great resource for coins and prices and rarity make sure you look up your coin before cleaning that way cause if it is a rare date or coin you can destroy the value. Have fun and trust me you will find lots more silver and some gold also Happy Hunting Tommy

Thanks, Tommy! I appreciate the advice and encouragement! I am not even sure what gold sounds like but I will be happy to learn LOL!

Beautiful Barber! Nice find and a first for you. GL on many more.

That coin looks amazing it must have barely been circulated before it was lost. Nice work!

Very sharp coin ! My Barber dimes are all really worn by comparison.

Thanks, Argentium. I feel blessed and encouraged to get out there on the hunt. Plus the woods and stream were beautiful.

Congrats on your first Barber. That is one sharply detailed coin.

Thank you. It was worth the wait.....a standing liberty is in my list as well as a crotal bell! Am I being too greedy?

That coin looks amazing it must have barely been circulated before it was lost. Nice work!

Yes, I was wondering the same thing, although under the eye magnifier it has more small scratches than it looks in the picture.I wonder if the toothbrush cleaning did that,

Congrats on a real beauty:icon_thumleft:

Yes, I was wondering the same thing, although under the eye magnifier it has more small scratches than it looks in the picture.I wonder if the toothbrush cleaning did that,

The coin lost most of its value once you polished it. But as long as you like the way it looks, that’s all that matters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back