Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I returned to a park that contains a spot that me and my hunting buddy refer to as "Chestnut Grove" The Grove has given up a good amount of silver. After numerous poundings, this little honey hole has gotten really stingy. Now, everyone with a little detecting experience knows that after a good rainfall, the silver signals have a tendency to wake up. Well, not on this trip. There are probably a hundred acres or more, in this park, that I haven't even explored. It was time to do so.
With the temps dropping into the 40's at night, the vegetation seems to be thinning out. I decided to try my hand at a few areas that are usually overgrown and will restrict one's ability to swing a coil. Into the woods I decided to go. I came across a little valley that is hidden from full view by vines, shrubs, and trees. It contained the remains of a brick and concrete structure. Not far from the structure was an old concrete base of what was once a public drinking fountain. It had been removed from it's base and was laying on it's side. I came to the conclusion that this spot once contained a park house. The structure was surrounded by numerous old trees and one in particular was HUGE.

I started at the base of that tree. About 2 feet out from the tree, I got a decent signal. I dug down past a root and at about 8 inches, I spotted something about 3 inches in diameter. I dug around it until I was able to lift it out. It appeared to be a Lady's Compact. I shook it and heard a rattling of something inside. Now I couldn't tell if there were chunks of old make up or maybe some coins. I was not about to wait until I got home to open it. Gently, I worked it open. Inside I found 5 pennies. ( 16, 62, 64d(2), & 66). This was something that was purposely buried. Although it didn't contain Gold or Silver, it did contain coins. Therefore it qualifies as a CACHE. My first.

Attachments

• IMG_2263.JPG
    IMG_2263.JPG
    346 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_2271.JPG
    IMG_2271.JPG
    572.8 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_2272.JPG
    IMG_2272.JPG
    967.6 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2264.JPG
    IMG_2264.JPG
    449 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Upvote 44

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt, good strategy, I like the way you think, great minds think alike! lol I have found a few compacts, some very old. While researching these it always talks about how allot of the ladies used to keep a "mad money" stash, usually a Half in them. I remember my grandmother telling me about "mad money" was when you were on a date and wanted to leave because the date went bad! lol. I have not found any "mad money" yours was probably a kids?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep a cache! Congrats!
I have yet to pull up a container with something other than dirt in it. Keep looking, as the kid got older he may have buried a few silvers!

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can just imagine first shaking it and hearing coins, .then getting really excited, . . then opening it and getting really discouraged, lol .

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WONDER WHAT THE MYSTERY IS BEHIND THE CASE AND COINS ....

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any cache is a good cache! The compact is also a cool find!

gearjammer

Mar 14, 2015
northern Caifornia
Detector(s) used
Etrac and Ace 350 and a Gold Bug now.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I returned to a park that contains a spot that me and my hunting buddy refer to as "Chestnut Grove" The Grove has given up a good amount of silver. After numerous poundings, this little honey hole has gotten really stingy. Now, everyone with a little detecting experience knows that after a good rainfall, the silver signals have a tendency to wake up. Well, not on this trip. There are probably a hundred acres or more, in this park, that I haven't even explored. It was time to do so.
With the temps dropping into the 40's at night, the vegetation seems to be thinning out. I decided to try my hand at a few areas that are usually overgrown and will restrict one's ability to swing a coil. Into the woods I decided to go. I came across a little valley that is hidden from full view by vines, shrubs, and trees. It contained the remains of a brick and concrete structure. Not far from the structure was an old concrete base of what was once a public drinking fountain. It had been removed from it's base and was laying on it's side. I came to the conclusion that this spot once contained a park house. The structure was surrounded by numerous old trees and one in particular was HUGE.

I started at the base of that tree. About 2 feet out from the tree, I got a decent signal. I dug down past a root and at about 8 inches, I spotted something about 3 inches in diameter. I dug around it until I was able to lift it out. It appeared to be a Lady's Compact. I shook it and heard a rattling of something inside. Now I couldn't tell if there were chunks of old make up or maybe some coins. I was not about to wait until I got home to open it. Gently, I worked it open. Inside I found 5 pennies. ( 16, 62, 64d(2), & 66). This was something that was purposely buried. Although it didn't contain Gold or Silver, it did contain coins. Therefore it qualifies as a CACHE. My first.

That's cool adds character to the find.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must have been a thrill, Congrats!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome cache :thumbsup: I couldn't imagine how excited you were when you heard those coins in there... No chance I could wait to open it either. I get excited just digging those compacts, but so far they've all been empty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread