Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I returned to a park that contains a spot that me and my hunting buddy refer to as "Chestnut Grove" The Grove has given up a good amount of silver. After numerous poundings, this little honey hole has gotten really stingy. Now, everyone with a little detecting experience knows that after a good rainfall, the silver signals have a tendency to wake up. Well, not on this trip. There are probably a hundred acres or more, in this park, that I haven't even explored. It was time to do so.
With the temps dropping into the 40's at night, the vegetation seems to be thinning out. I decided to try my hand at a few areas that are usually overgrown and will restrict one's ability to swing a coil. Into the woods I decided to go. I came across a little valley that is hidden from full view by vines, shrubs, and trees. It contained the remains of a brick and concrete structure. Not far from the structure was an old concrete base of what was once a public drinking fountain. It had been removed from it's base and was laying on it's side. I came to the conclusion that this spot once contained a park house. The structure was surrounded by numerous old trees and one in particular was HUGE.

I started at the base of that tree. About 2 feet out from the tree, I got a decent signal. I dug down past a root and at about 8 inches, I spotted something about 3 inches in diameter. I dug around it until I was able to lift it out. It appeared to be a Lady's Compact. I shook it and heard a rattling of something inside. Now I couldn't tell if there were chunks of old make up or maybe some coins. I was not about to wait until I got home to open it. Gently, I worked it open. Inside I found 5 pennies. ( 16, 62, 64d(2), & 66). This was something that was purposely buried. Although it didn't contain Gold or Silver, it did contain coins. Therefore it qualifies as a CACHE. My first.

Attachments

• IMG_2263.JPG
    IMG_2263.JPG
    346 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_2271.JPG
    IMG_2271.JPG
    572.8 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_2272.JPG
    IMG_2272.JPG
    967.6 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2264.JPG
    IMG_2264.JPG
    449 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Upvote 44

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man, cool find, but I would have gone from a really big high to a really big "low". And yes, this is a cache!

aj

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Chestnut Grove" The Grove has given up a good amount of silver.. There are probably a hundred acres or more, in this park, that I haven't even explored..

Good recovery ATW! :find:

You are fortunate, I would have to drive a hundred miles to find a park that big.
For me it is like finding a needle in a haystack--BUT I gotta find the haystack first. Sound familiar anyone? LOL :tongue3:

goldbmine

Nov 13, 2015
North Ga.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were always wishing for more but a fun recovery none the less! With there being so much area still to cover the possibilities are good! Keep us posted. Congrats

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really cool. I've never found a cache myself

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool. I've always wanted to find something like that. I've dug many compacts, but they've all been empty with the exception of a little makeup or the mirror

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find, I pulled one earlier this season, an old compact with 4 wheat pennies from where the old burn pile was on the property. Maybe the next one will hold some silvers... fingers crossed.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still a great find. The thrill of opening an old tin to see what's in there is a pretty cool feeling in itself.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cache is a cache ATW. I would be thrilled to have dug that. I have found over a dozen old women's compacts, but all they did contain, was the old crusty makeup. Nice job.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, that's really neat, maybe some little kids had a hangout spot there and either buried it on purpose for fun (pretending to be pirates) or they just forgot it or lost it there.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that would be a fun find !!! well done

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool find for sure, when something rattles in a box the mind starts a thinking really quick. Congrats on #1 cache, hope the next will right around the corner for you.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No caches for me yet, and my name is J. Cache!!! I think I jinxed myself lol

Nice job on the cool cache, as well as the other great stuff you posted in the other thread

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread