What's new

My First Coin Roll hunt!

becky21b

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2010
Messages
69
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Santa Cruz, Ca
Hello everyone, been reading all your posts. Seems like a cheap thrill so I figured I would go get me some Half dollars. I went to my bank and they only had 11.50 in half dollars and the teller was very happy to get rid of them, so I took em home, went through them and got 1 silver!! I was so excited! its a 1964 and pretty dirty. But none the less I was happy to see it! In the 11.50 that I got there was 12-1971's, 3-72's, 1-73, 1-74, 1-77, Centennial 76?, 82,90,and 97.. and the 64.

Then my boyfriend said he needed to go to the bank, so I went with him and had him ask if they have any half dollars, first they said no then they said wait... we have two rolls in the back stock or something.. So she gave them to me, then she said.... The other teller wanted me to tell you, Your not allowed to bring them back! lol then she started laughing.

Didn't' get any other silver in the other 2 rolls. But had fun going through them. So what do you guys do with the ones you dont keep? take em back to the bank? use them?

Are there any Known defects or rareties?
 
Upvote 0
Congrats on your first taste of the addiction lol.

I spend some and dump most at a bank with a coin counter that I can use. I try not to use the banks where the tellers have to run them through the machine.

They prefer you to hand them a receipt rather than a few hundred dollars in halves.

I'll usually spend less $20 at a time so most people don't have a problem taking them.
 
Congrats on your first silver find and welcome to the madness!!! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:
 
If you are just roll hunting small amounts, spend them at retail, which is what I do. Read the thread I started about spending halves at retail. Spending odd currency is actually pretty fun, and most people enjoy getting them.
 
Becky,
Congratulations! What a great feeling to pull a 1964 from a bank roll. :icon_thumleft:
Someone put this link up a couple of weeks ago in response to a question like yours. I thought it was a good source, so I pass it on.
Hope to hear more on your success at CRH. Clovis is right, most folks love to see halves in small quantity, they just don't circulate much. Spend them and watch folk's reactions.
http://www.collectorscorner.org/pocket.html
Best wishes,
Steve
 
Hello, and congratulations on a great first hunt!

Surprisingly, there are some defects to be found. In my last major half-dollar score (69 keepers), I came across my very first error coin (a clipped planchet - picture attached). Error coins in the wild are very rare and most certainly worth keeping.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the new hobby! It is very addicting and a lot of fun. As many have said on this forum, it's still out there!

cuttybce
 

Attachments

  • JFKClip2.webp
    JFKClip2.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 225
  • JFKClip2.webp
    JFKClip2.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 215
I have started to spend some of my halfs. I have spent up to $50 at one time at WalMart. They looked at me kind of funny and I told them I had to start spending my collection to make ends meet. They said OK and told them. Spend $20 to $30 at a time to get gas. And the same at the store. Take some to the banks and dump. Do what ever you can do with them. Go out and eat Where ever you spent use them. I am planning on taking a vacation and I am going to take 2 boxes with us and look through and spent them on the way. Can you imagine the face on the motel guy when I pay in halfs.......Matt
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom